Ultimate Subaru Message Board

PO743 Help please i'm stumped.......

Hi,

I just finished converting my 98 Outback to a 2.2....everything went well and it runs perfectly.

I keep getting code PO743 and the CEL stays on. I have a OBD2 reader and keep checking/erasing the code and it comes back after you drive it. That is the only code and it says its something with the Torque Converter Electrical....something.

The car did not have this code before the motor swap, but the car has been sitting for a year or so. I flushed the transmission and put in fresh fluid and that didn't help. The car shifts perfectly but will not lock into overdrive. I made sure the Torque Converter WAS seated properly before dropping the engine in as well.

I have never had a code like this before, i'm just stumped. I've done lots of 2.2 conversions never with a problem.

Any ideas?

~Tim

P0743 indicates an electrical problem related to duty solenoid B, which is why you're not getting torque converter lockup. I'm looking at a '97 diagram, which hopefully is the same as your '98. The wiring from the solenoid goes to pins 4 and 6 of mating 16-pin trans and body wiring connectors, and from there to the TCU connector. The 16-pin connector is "square" (four rows of four pins each), so pin 4 is at a corner. Perhaps that connector is partially dislodged, or maybe the wiring somehow got damaged during the engine work.

Unless McDave is right about physical damage inside the trans, I'd suggest looking externally at the 16-pin connector and wiring to and from it.

OB99W gave you some excellent information and tips. i'd follow those. make sure the pins of all the harnesses are clean and seated properly. sometimes those large engine and transmission plugs are hard to get seated...like push as hard as you can and they don't seat. takes some wiggling and such. i'd look at the connectors related to this code like OB99W mentioned.

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...