Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New 79 BRAT owner w/ bonus tip

My name is Erik and I reside in the Philadelphia area. I recently purchased a nice '79 BRAT from an older gentleman down south and had it shipped home. Are there any other Gen 1 owners in my area?

The car is a DL with blue exterior and blue interior. It has several original accessories: winch & bumper, sliding rear window, hitch, and A/C. The body was redone several years ago so my main focus is exterior trim parts and a full interior resto. I'll post some pictures if somebody can give me some instructions on how.

Here's a tip that some of you may find useful. The original inside door handle bezels that turn to dust can be replaced with new bezels from early '80s Brats and GLs for about $25. A cooperative Subaru dealer would be able to order these dark blue part numbers: 760123210 right, and 760123220 left. You'll need to drill and tap a new hole for the mounting screw, but they look very original once installed.

My name is Erik and I reside in the Philadelphia area. I recently purchased a nice '79 BRAT from an older gentleman down south and had it shipped home. Are there any other Gen 1 owners in my area?

The car is a DL with blue exterior and blue interior. It has several original accessories: winch & bumper, sliding rear window, hitch, and A/C. The body was redone several years ago so my main focus is exterior trim parts and a full interior resto. I'll post some pictures if somebody can give me some instructions on how.

Here's a tip that some of you may find useful. The original inside door handle bezels that turn to dust can be replaced with new bezels from early '80s Brats and GLs for about $25. A cooperative Subaru dealer would be able to order these dark blue part numbers: 760123210 right, and 760123220 left. You'll need to drill and tap a new hole for the mounting screw, but they look very original once installed.

Thanks Erik! I've looked at those, but never tried it. I think Subaru made the Gen 1's out of sand!

There are a few owners in eastern PA, but my memory fails me on who they are. (Paul/(Moosens) can you chime in here)??

Todd

here i is :-p

Hey Erik,Cool to see another northeast vintage owner with enthusiasm.

Yes,there's one right near you,but not for long. I'm going to pick it up this week. Also a 1979.

We'll try to help you out as best as possible. Might be some blue pieces left.

You might want to sit back a bit now and try not to just buy the first items you see pop up. Some of us have new old stock items and a decade or more of accumulated used parts. ;) But,there's no NOS dashboards or door panels,etc except for a very few random pieces that are not blue and not Brat. I do have Subaru tune-up kits,filters,and various small items that I can offer in the near future.

Have you thought about protection for your baby? Car bubbles are great.

here i is :-p

Hey Erik,Cool to see another northeast vintage owner with enthusiasm.

Yes,there's one right near you,but not for long. I'm going to pick it up this week. Also a 1979.

We'll try to help you out as best as possible. Might be some blue pieces left.

You might want to sit back a bit now and try not to just buy the first items you see pop up. Some of us have new old stock items and a decade or more of accumulated used parts. ;) But,there's no NOS dashboards or door panels,etc except for a very few random pieces that are not blue and not Brat. I do have Subaru tune-up kits,filters,and various small items that I can offer in the near future.

Have you thought about protection for your baby? Car bubbles are great.

Thanks for the welcome and the help! I've already replaced the tune up parts with all NOS stuff except for the plug wires (got those from NAPA).

• 3 weeks later...