Ultimate Subaru Message Board

CV axle not fitting correctly

I just replaced the clutch and engine seals in my 95 Legacy. I put the engine/tranny back in my car and now when I go to put in the right axle, it doesn't seem to fit correctly. I can get the pin to line up with the hole in the tranny stub but the joint it fully extended and the boot is messed up. The only thing I can think of is that when I installed the engine, its not 100% centered (which I have never had a problem with on my 5 other engine installs). The left side went in w/o any issues. Any ideas?

The pic below is where the axle "rests" with out any stress from pulling on it.

_IGP5829.jpg

_IGP5830.jpg

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont see your axle stub,the stub may have came out when you pulled the axle, if you find it on floor just get a new clip put it on the stub and push it back in. The old clip will be in the bottom of the pan and will not hurt anything.

Edited by tcspeer

I dont see your axle stub,the stub may have came out when you pulled the axle, if you find it on floor just get a new clip put it on the stub and push it back in. The old clip will be in the bottom of the pan and will not hurt anything.

I do see his stub, it's there.

ANd if one were to loose the circlip from an axle stub in the trans, it would certainly not be good. It wouldn't be* int he botrtom of the pan* It'd be in the front diff case, and there isn't much clearance in there.

At any rate I don't think that is his issue.

I do see his stub, it's there.

ANd if one were to loose the circlip from an axle stub in the trans, it would certainly not be good. It wouldn't be* int he botrtom of the pan* It'd be in the front diff case, and there isn't much clearance in there.

At any rate I don't think that is his issue.

Where? There is two female ends there you must have a male shaft for the axle to slide onto. And yes it is O.K. for the clip to be in the bottom of the transfer case this happens quite often.

Edited by tcspeer

The stub is visible in the first photo.

As far as foriegn metal objects in the transmission, I would get sued for leaving crap in there. Espescially when it would be easy to pull the plug and retrive it with a magnet.

You can run that risk on you're own car but I strongly disagree that "It's Fine to leave loose metal in you're transmission" It's really bad advice to give out.

The first time I lost a clip in my transmission I was worried about it also, so I went to a local transmission shop and the tech there said leave it it wont hurt a thing, Now my Subaru Postal wagon has 393,000 miles on it and that clip has not hurt a thing. However you can try to fish it out if you want to.

so I went to a local transmission shop and the tech there said leave it it wont hurt a thing, Now my Subaru Postal wagon has 393,000 miles on it and that clip has not hurt a thing.

Pull the front diff and examine it and then tell me that.

ANd in an Automatic, there is more room in the case, and no gears other thant the diff.

On a manual, the whole case is connectoed, and the clip could end up anywhere in the gears, blocking a shift collar or any other thing in there.

Pull the front diff and examine it and then tell me that.

ANd in an Automatic, there is more room in the case, and no gears other thant the diff.

On a manual, the whole case is connectoed, and the clip could end up anywhere in the gears, blocking a shift collar or any other thing in there.

Does the front diff. on the standard share the same oil as the transmission I have not seen how the standard is set up.

Edited by tcspeer

The stub is visible in the first photo.

As far as foriegn metal objects in the transmission, I would get sued for leaving crap in there. Espescially when it would be easy to pull the plug and retrive it with a magnet.

You can run that risk on you're own car but I strongly disagree that "It's Fine to leave loose metal in you're transmission" It's really bad advice to give out.[/quote

This post has been removed by T.C. and my apolgy to Gloyale for what was here.

Edited by tcspeer

This is like an Escher drawing, it looks like the "female" portion, but the hole for the roll-pin is visible in the pic so we must be looking at the stub axle, no?

The stub axle will have a small hole through the shaft, when it slides into the hole at the end of axle, the part where you see the pin sticking up. The pin will then go down and through the stub axle shaft and come through the bottom side of the part you see in photo #1.

The stub axle is about four or five in. long it is spined all of the way around it goes in the hole of the diff. you can see this in pic. the other end goes in the end of the drive axle and is held in place by the pin you have marked. It is gone! Simpreza2 needs to go find it so he can get his car back together.

I think the one you have circled is a rust spot, if you look close you can see it looks more like a star then a round hole for the pin. Where are the spines on the end of the drive axle? Are you going to slide that into the other hole and drive a pin through it and expect it to hold?

Edited by tcspeer

not a good pic. I think the stub is there in the pic, with the oil seal around it. and the axle is too short to hit the stub. did you push in the axle to compress, and pull out out to see if it stretches enough.

The stub axle is about four or five in. long it is spined all of the way around it goes in the hole of the diff. you can see this in pic. the other end goes in the end of the drive axle and is held in place by the pin you have marked. It is gone! Simpreza2 needs to go find it so he can get his car back together.

I think the one you have circled is a rust spot, if you look close you can see it looks more like a star then a round hole for the pin. The one you call the diff. stub axle where are the spines on it? Are you going to slide that into the other hole and drive a pin through it and expect it to hold?

i assume you are sure it is the right axle.

perhaps the boot was clamped on the shaft in the wrong place making it look like it's fully extended when it's not. how much will it compress, more or less than the old one? compare side by side.

where did you get the axle?

can you exchange it?

Boot is in the same spot as the other side.

They both have the same range of motion.

It is a rebuilt axle but its the same as the old one, I took out before I put the engine back in.

I tired to get the L. axle out but it didn't want to come out. I couldn't get the axle nut off (yes I unstaked the nut) I tried everything, breaker bar, breaker bar with extension (= broken breaker bar as seen in pics), 1/2" impact gun nothing worked. I didnt want to use heat b/c of the wheel bearing.

_IGP5831.jpg

I did move the engine over a half inch back to where the original nut outline was on the cross member and it didn't help. :( The pic below is of where it was before I moved it.

_IGP5840.jpg

Below are links to pics of the left side (w/ wheel off and car jacked up), if you feel you need to check it out.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s214/simpreza2/_IGP5841.jpg

http://s153.photobucket.com/albums/s214/simpreza2/?action=view&current=_IGP5842.jpg

Any other ideas?

I happen to think all of our description skills suck, I'm confused, and I think some others are also.

The pic that lostinthe202 posted and his description is correct. The male end of the axle is in the steering knuckle and the female end needs to be put on the male end of the tranny stub. There is no inserting any male piece into the differential. The differential/tranny stub is locked in place and is not moving.

I think the one you have circled is a rust spot, if you look close you can see it looks more like a star then a round hole for the pin. Where are the spines on the end of the drive axle? Are you going to slide that into the other hole and drive a pin through it and expect it to hold?

The circle is the hole for the pin.