Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Can anyone comment on this timing belt kit from ebay?

Click here for ebay ad

NOTE: This item is normally $227.00 but is on sale for $183.00 for the next two days. I intend paying the sale price.

This set includes:

• 1 Timing Belt (223 teeth)
  • 1 Tensioner (tensioner & hydraulic cylinder combo)
  • 1 Lower Idler (sprocket with bearing)
  • 2 Upper Idlers (2 req. 1 left & 1 right)

Quickly coming up on 105k miles on a 2000 OBW Legacy. Searching for timing belt parts but since I can't break the bank or starve my family I need to do some price comparison. Also, I intend on replacing the water pump and any other applicable parts. I plan on keeping the car as long as possible so a balance of reasonable prices and good quality is a must.

EDIT:

Then there's THIS water pump from GMB. $40.00? OEM price at 1stsubaru is over $100!!!

Edited by 211

Do some searching. I think a lot of us use those kits. Personally I always obtain a Dayco timing belt locally though. I do think they have other options for timing belts.

I get the same parts from 'theimportexperts.com'. When I originally did the research I think the components and prices were the same of the three folks selling kits with the same components. I just stick with a vendor until given a reason to go elsewhere.

Never used one of their WP's. I'm kinda partial to Subaru WP gaskets though. I buy new WP local and a Suby gasket.

But do some searching. This is a VERY common question.

Dave

I installed a GMB H20 pump at 105k M and am now at 140K miles. They're made in Japan, and I don't see much of a difference between the different pumps on the market.

GMB also supplies the idlers for many of those ebay kits.

For the accessory belts, thermostat, oil pump o-ring, crank seal, cam seals, and other miscellaneous parts, you should check out www.1stsubaruparts.com.

When I did the first t-belt service on the same 2.5 Phase II engine at 105K miles. I reused both smooth idlers as well as the tensioner. It's usually the cogged idler that goes south, and I replaced mine even though it was still perfectly fine. So far so good at 140K miles.

I hope others chime in, but it's my impression from reading on this and other boards that idler and tensioner failures are very rare, though also very costly.

Edited by hohieu

Hi,

I can't comment on anything but the PCI kit for EA-82, so here goes.

I installed a PCI kit on a car that I "once in a while" turned to 7000 rpm.

After a few thousand miles, the drivers side belt broke while crusing up the interstate. Replaced it and not another problem.

My impression of the rest of the kit? Well, it's lightweight compared to OEM and such. But on these cars, you replace them at 60 K...

Those water pumps for EA engines have a stamped impeller compared to cast for OEM style. They kinda creep me out for a Subaru engine.

YMMV

Doug

I have used PCI kits on both my RX and my Legacy Turbo. The RX Kit came with everything complete and worked great! The Turbo Legacy kit came with everything complete, and the belt even had the markings required for a seamless installation.

I definatly give the PCI Brand 5 stars... you shouldn't have to worry at all when ordering your kit.

I don't know if it makes any difference, but just curious here..when looking at that same ebay site...the $74 pump has a different impellar design..rock auto.com has a good selection and pics..

Here are some extensive thread on that very issue.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=82714

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=52560&highlight=water+cavitation

As for me, I've been replaced my OEM H20 pump (cast impeller) with a GMB pump (stamped impeller). The new pump has only 35K miles on it, but I'd be very surprised if it didn't make to the next timing belt service. I've noticed no differences between the two pumps in my car.