Ultimate Subaru Message Board

what if?

Uberoo

You combine a Free 2 cylinder non turbo diesel rated at 16 HP and a free 4wd subaru wagon that weighs 2000 LBS...

I dunno but Im gonna try.see if I can make a really cool offroad rig.especially because I have a set of 26" tractor tires that will fit the subaru...

supposidly a 23 hp diesel will make a geo metro go 65 mph.Certainly not fast,but it will move it..So I wonder how 16 hp will do?If nothing eles I suppose I could turbo the little sucker...

the idea is that my diesel truck is virtually free to drive and a 4x4 toy is not because it runs on gas...but what if it ran on diesel.... Smiley

hey then it really will be a little tractor...

my diesel is practically free because I burn used engine oil in by diesel as a fuel.It passes though a centrifuge so its cleaned...

I hope I wont have to many problems with it offroad...

in thoery I could use 8 forward gears to motivate it,if I- separt hi/lo from 4wd. and if I can row though both sticks...

Gearing will make virtually anything "possible", at the sacrifice of vital drivetrain components.

But, I'm wondering how "fun" something that weighs over 2000lbs is going to be with a bone shattering 16 hp ( probably rated at the crank when new, run on proper diesel fuel) propelling it down any kind of obstacle.

We have a Kubota B21, the funnest thing it does is spread gravel.

Gearing will make virtually anything "possible", at the sacrifice of vital drivetrain components.

But, I'm wondering how "fun" something that weighs over 2000lbs is going to be with a bone shattering 16 hp ( probably rated at the crank when new, run on proper diesel fuel) propelling it down any kind of obstacle.

Used engine oil contains more BTU's than diesel. In my truck I found a 6 MPG difference between used engine and diesel.on diesel my truck gets 20 mpg,on oil-26...

I use the subaru as a way to get places without actually needing to spin the tires fast. With the tractor tires there is no point in spinning the tires faster because the car just goes faster...even with an EA81,the tires gripped so well that it couldnt break the tires loose to fling mud on the car...

I dont know how much I can cut out of the body and get it as light as possible...the glass is a real heavy part...although I could replace the roof with a rollcage and some fabric,then maybe have a propane heater behind me or something....

and with that engine I probally can shorten the front a fair bit,I suppose I could bob the rear,maybe even cut a section out of the middle...

Edited by Uberoo

Sorry to stray, but Uberoo, what kind of truck are you driving? I tried running 6% waste oil (EPA approves up to 7.5%!), run through a giant 2 micron Racor before blending, as well as a 10 micron Racor and 1 micron Motorcraft filter on the rig, in my 7.3L F250, and my old worn out injection pump got gunked up so that the timing control wouldn't work right. Other than that, it ran great. Seemed to improve power and economy. I'm getting a new pump this spring and will start experimenting again.

89 dodge W250 cummins turbo diesel.The difference in pumps is why I can run engine oil.The old pump on the 7.3 uses a rotary vane style mechanism.over time the vanes get stuck,and thats just with diesel...The pump on my truck doesnt have that problem.plus I run my oil though a centrifuge at about 3.6 Gph. it removes all of the metal in the oil,most of the carbon,and all of the water in a single pass.I would say the average size particle left is .5 micron and below.although those old ford IDI diesels are alot more tolerant to thicker fuels...My truck I had to put a piston style lift pump on the truck and a fuel heat exchanger-fuel runs through oil cooler- the oil cooler has a shell around it that flows hot engine coolant around the oil cooler.thus heating the fuel...

and because of all that its running close to 65-70% oil in the winter,in the summer it runs just about 100%...

Edited by Uberoo

Im thinking about making a EA81 wagon into a offroad only buggy.It will have 26" tractor tires.It will hopefully be powered by a 2 cylinder diesel engine.One problem is the engine is underpowered.

Im looking for suggestst for stuff to remove to make lt lighter.

here is a list of stuff I have thought of

remove front fenders

remove rear seat

remove carpet and headliner

remove mirrors

remove exterior trim

remove plastic bumper covers

remove grill

remove all side and rear windows

remove roof after windsheild frame

Put rollcage in car to hold body up

Bob the back end to the wheel wells

Remove AC componets

Remove stereo except CB

remove taillights

remove hood

remove wiper cover plate

remove door guts so doors are just skins

use fence latches to hold front doors shut,weld rear skins shut

Remove 16" lenght or so from behind the front doors

use clear vinyl sheets for windows

replace tailgate with mesh or bars.

Shorten front as far as I can because of shorter engine.

tarp material for roof

exhaust for diesel will be a stack straight out though where the hood used to be...

Possibly remove the dash

after all that it should be very light...

but, you have to account for the "rollcage"...chance are you won't really lose any weight.it will just equal out.all of the cutting will require more tube to fix than you think .

just make a cage around a subaru suspension setup.then figure on the motor.

to efficiently use the power that diesel you speak of has, you are looking at a go cart size monstrosity,unless you make it direct drive.which torque wise would not be very smart.just some suggestions.

a buddy of mine and i have been talking about this for a while.and we have looked at 20 ish horse power diesel engines to 4 cyl engines from yanmar,kubota,smaller isuzu, toyota,cummins,and nissan etc.....

if this engine is free, then build a smaller buggy altogether.didn't you say once that you were in some fabrication classes?sounds like a good project to me.and if you don't end up using the motor i'll buy it for $100 bucks from you so that i can.cheers,brian

We have a Kubota B21, the funnest thing it does is spread gravel.

How many HP at the draw bar?:grin:

Jeff

but, you have to account for the "rollcage"...chance are you won't really lose any weight.it will just equal out.all of the cutting will require more tube to fix than you think .

just make a cage around a subaru suspension setup.then figure on the motor.

to efficiently use the power that diesel you speak of has, you are looking at a go cart size monstrosity,unless you make it direct drive.which torque wise would not be very smart.just some suggestions.

a buddy of mine and i have been talking about this for a while.and we have looked at 20 ish horse power diesel engines to 4 cyl engines from yanmar,kubota,smaller isuzu, toyota,cummins,and nissan etc.....

if this engine is free, then build a smaller buggy altogether.didn't you say once that you were in some fabrication classes?sounds like a good project to me.and if you don't end up using the motor i'll buy it for $100 bucks from you so that i can.cheers,brian

i suppose i could use the front clip along with the windshield and the floor pan.then just some tubeing...