Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hybrid Axles EA81/EA82T

XT6 Magic

Here are some pictures of the Subaru conversion races (Rockford part number 184-068A) that cobcob helped me find. They don't seem to be for the purpose I had intended. I was hoping to put the EA82T DOJ on the EA81 shaft. Does anyone know what these are for? They do fit the EA81 DOJ but the splines don't match either shaft:confused:

Conversion Race

DOJ Top View

DOJ Side View

Thanks

-Jeff

Edited by XT6 Magic

The spline count on the center of the races? It looks like the EA81 is 22 the Rockford conversion race is also 22 but for a slightly larger shaft diameter, and the EA82T is 25 spline.

The splines on the outside of the DOJ cups are the standard EA81 (23) and EA82T (25)

Thanks,

-Jeff

Ea81 and ea82 fwd and some legacy fwd and 4wd are 22 spline on the AXLE shaft not the tranny stub axle but the axle shaft. The tranny stub is 23 or 25..so far in my observations there are at least five axle shaft spline counts in subarus..82 87 92 95 and 100 are the numbers you'll see on OE NTN outboard and inboard joints 82 is the 22 spline axle shaft..fyi 95 is the turbo axle shaft and joint which is actually bigger in diameter that wrx axles at the splined ends.. 87 is the common ea82 4wd shaft...

Rockford should have every part you'd need to mix and match stuff..

Kaz

I've been offline for a while but here's what I've been able to dig up.

The part that you got from Trussells will, according to the Rockford catalog allow you to adapt the EA81 axle onto an EA82T DOJ. There was mention of different diameter axle shafts for the FWD vs the 4x4 axles, I've not been able to get to the bottom of that one.

Rockford does have that part on their files but have never made that particular part and, have told me that they don't plan on making it any time in the foreseeable future.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all , this is from my 1987 Factory Subaru Service Manual (FSM) .

There are four complete shaft assemblies being

82AC - body of DOJ plain , axle shaft 1 ring , 265mm between boot clamps

87AC - DOJ cooling grooves , 2 rings , 257mm between inner boot clamps

93AC - DOJ cooling grooves , 3 rings , 242mm between inner boot clamps

95AC - As for 93AC assembly except for 25 spline gearbox/DOJ interface

From what I can gather all L/MY have 23 splined gearbox (front diff) side shafts except L RX Turbo manual and I think Turbo Vortexs (XT's) which are 25 spline on the stub shafts and DOJ's .

It looks like you could slot the Turbo Auto L series 93AC shaft assembly into your MY but you would may need to lengthen the lower control arms if the DOJ's look like bottoming out in the ends of their cups .

One of the ways to fit the Australian CrossBred 5 stud kit to an MY was to use 25 spline manual L turbo shafts (25 spline axle shaft not CV) and Legacy CV's . It's possibly the 93AC's big DOJ with the smaller 23 spline female hole on the gearboxes side that lets it all slot together .

Also for the record "cooling grooves" as mentioned above are the grooves on the outer section of the DOJ's steel body .

AS for std MY shafts I think this is how it goes .

Axle shaft has male 22 splines either end

CV and DOJ's must also have 22 splined female holes where they fit over the axles

DOjs have 23 splined holes where they fit over the front diffs male stub side shafts .

Lastly the 82AC shaft mentioned above was for 1300 and 1600 carby front wheel drive cars so you can possibly forget about them .

My plan is to use early Legacy 25 spline axle shafts innitially with RX Turbo manual "95AC" joints so I can extend my control arms and get some badly needed negative camber into my RX L series .

Need longer shafts because longer control arms would pull the balls further outwards in the DOJs so the longer shafts place them back where they should be .

Wider front track and perhaps 1/4 to 1/2 neg camber , cheers A .

• 4 weeks later...

The hybrid EA81 (25 spline inner) axles I have been working on are finally done. I just have to find boot kits. The recipe turned out to be 93 Legacy inner DOJ's with the Rockford 184-068A conversion races and EA81 front axles. Make sure you get the right diameter EA81 shafts or they won't fit the conversion races.

Yeah - too bad I wasn't online for a while or I could have told you that. You need 4WD EA81 front axles and legacy DOJ's. I beleive there is a combination that does not require the rockford part though. IIRC it involves the early legacy turbo DOJ.

GD

Aren't Legacy DOJs made to fit over a 25 spline stub axle?

I guess we are talking about using it in an EA82T or with a AWD fivespeed here?

to use this combo with a 23 spline stubed trans, like a 3.9 dual range, you would need to do something different? or just split the case and pop 25 spline stubs into the diff.

• 3 weeks later...

this mite be a bit off subject but i am really needing some more info if anyone could help, i have a 89 brumby and have just done the 5 stud conversion, and fitted liberty hubs to the front and am trying to find a shaft/cv combo that will fit in, the liberty shaft was way to long to fit inbatween both the cvs, so guess i am looking for a shaft that is same lenth as the brumby one with the right splin patten to fit in both the cv joints? or chang the hub side cv to one that will go thro the liberty hub and slide strat on the brumby shaft. the iner cv joint out the gearbox fits strat onto the brumby shaft, its just the cv on the hub side witch im finding hard to match up, any help would be good thanks

this mite be a bit off subject but i am really needing some more info if anyone could help, i have a 89 brumby and have just done the 5 stud conversion, and fitted liberty hubs to the front and am trying to find a shaft/cv combo that will fit in, the liberty shaft was way to long to fit inbatween both the cvs, so guess i am looking for a shaft that is same lenth as the brumby one with the right splin patten to fit in both the cv joints? or chang the hub side cv to one that will go thro the liberty hub and slide strat on the brumby shaft. the iner cv joint out the gearbox fits strat onto the brumby shaft, its just the cv on the hub side witch im finding hard to match up, any help would be good thanks

Have you found the right driveshaft for the front yet?

If not, just ring Jeff @ Crossbred and he'd be able to tell you the exact parts you need to find. Either that or he would send you the correct shaft ready to bolt in.