Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Lost power steering, serpentine belt and pulleys all OK - could pump have sheared?

Car is a 2001 Legacy 2.5 l, 107,000 miles. At 100,000 miles had both head gaskets done (slight external leak in one). Since then car has been fine. For the last 5000 miles or so I noticed a slight squeek at idle that would disappear (?hidden?) as revs picked up. Never got any worse and could only be heard at idle. Car always ran fine and steering had no issues. Tonight went down the road about 0.5 mile and I noticed the engine kick a bit almost like a miss fire then I noticed steering was heavy. Turned around and drove home - no power assist at all. I have checked the belt and it is fine it runs and all the pulleys including the power steering one are turning OK. What I notice now is that there is no squeek at idle. Fluid in PS reservoir is spot on, no obvious leaks in rack etc. So I figure that the shaft in the PS pump has sheared? Is this possible, with no increase in the sound ? Was the noise I heard the PS bearings going out? Aside from the difficulty in steering would it be OK to drive it as is to my local Subaru garage or should I get it transported there? I am mechasnically inclined so is this any easy fix for a competent home mechanic - replace PS pump? If I do this myself any other issue to consider - its not driven by the timing belt so I assume it should be a fairly straightforward job. Are PS pumps liable to failure at this sort of mileage?

Things break. That squeek could have been a bad PS pump bearing, and a sign of impending doom. Remove the belt, (prbbly a good idea to replace it) and turn the pump by hand. See if there is any resistance.

Pumps usually dont go bad this early, but things happen.

nipper

When my pump died, it died with a plethora of strange noises!!! For a few days, it sounded like a dog barking from under the hood. I had no idea what it was and couldn't localize the sound. The night it died coming home, I heard squeals, pips, quirks and other assorted sounds. But when the pump seals blew, and fluid went everywhere, it was obvious what part was bad! I would suggest a pump from the local junkyard/pull-a-part. They are lots cheaper than dealers/ auto shops and are not too difficult to replace. Good Luck! Please reply back and let us know what it was.

Rich

Right had a closer look today. Took the drive belt off - its fine no issues. Turning the pulley on the end of the PS shaft makes no noise and turns smoothly, also tuns the shaft. However I am able to pull the pulley forward and is brings the shaft with it. I cant pull it all the way out because the top radiator hose fouls it. But I wouldnt think the shaft should just pull out like that should it?

Right had a closer look today. Took the drive belt off - its fine no issues. Turning the pulley on the end of the PS shaft makes no noise and turns smoothly, also tuns the shaft. However I am able to pull the pulley forward and is brings the shaft with it. I cant pull it all the way out because the top radiator hose fouls it. But I wouldnt think the shaft should just pull out like that should it?

noooooooooooooooooooooo

it used to be attached to the pump.

nipper

They are easy to change. If you can draw all of the fluid out of the tank it makes a cleaner job, otherwise use lots of rags.

Pull the belt - you've done that

Crack the front line bolt a little

There are 3 12mm bolts you can get to through the holes in the pulley, remove them.

Remove the bolt on the rear bracket if you have one

Remove the bolt from the front line

Remove the clamps from the rear hose and pull off the pump

If you are getting a used pump:

Replace the o-ring between the pump and the tank (access the bolts from the tank)

Clean the tank while you have it off

Install the pump in reverse order

Fill to the correct level

Run the car and turn the wheel stop to stop to bleed any air out.

Although i havent taken it out fully spoke to a few mechanics and the consensus is that the shaft has sheared. No one in UK does recon units (apparently these new style ones on the legacy cant be rebuilt as new shafts not avaialbe separately) so I need to hope I can get a second hand one. Dealer wants $750 for a new one!:eek:

I see that a new one in USA is only about $400. Anyone got a second hand one?

IMO, I think buying a good used p/s pump from a wrecking yard near you in the UK is the way to go.

$750 if that is in USD is outrageously priced. The USD exchange rate to UK Pound is bad these days. Does earning UK Pounds, spending UK Pounds makes the purchase of a new one more reasonable?

Even earning pounds its still outrageous - £460, a lot of money whichever way you cut it. I have now located a used one which is on its way to me. Over here there arent as many Legacy models as in USA so s/h spares not easy to come by - at least not PS pump for my model.