Ultimate Subaru Message Board

This Is Probably a Dumb Question

yes. i haven't owned one, and for good reason (what he said). the 3AT transmission is a weak spot for sure.

the 4EAT transmission was worlds better and comes in i believe a few late 80's vehicles. definitely comes in the XT6 and i believe at least one or two EA82 models (XT...and maybe GL-10?).

Only 3ATs ive owned have been 2wd. They were both garbage with the lower milage of the two being worse. Would hold gears until redline then bang into the next gear. Rather than go through the trouble of fixing it i donated it to the local highschool to rip apart and dropped a 5 speed in instead. Havent looked back.

As far as 4wd 3AT i cant imagine them being better..in fact they are probably worse since there is more to go wrong.

A lot of people hate them. Here's my experience with them:

I have owned (4) 4WD 3AT wagons. An 86, 88, 90, 92.

No, they aren't sports cars.

No, they aren't high MPG.

They have a 4WD on the fly button.

I have had 1 transmission failure in almost 20 years. And that was really the differential, and it failed due to low diff oil. (sneaky slow leak & I wasn't checking often enough)

All of them have made it to 150Kmiles or more, one to 205K.

I ocasionally tow a 1000Lb trailer, and or heavy loads in the wagon.

I don't baby them.

I do run synthetic ATF, change at about 100K miles.

I put the 3AT from my 86 (wrecked in an accident) into my "new" 87. It also spent a few years in my 88, before it rusted away. (the 88 had the diff failure) The 87 should be around for 10 years or more.

My 91 Loyale has the 3AT with selectable 4WD and it shifts smooth. The car came with 138k miles and all maintenance paperwork since 1994. Can't say the transmission is the same as original, but it shifts smooth. I wish I had more gears as it's running at 3000+ rpm at highway speeds.

Since we are on the subject of 3at 4wd, does anyone know why mine violently bangs into neutral when I try to make a tight turn off road in 4wd? I hate it, it takes all the fun out of snow and brodies :mad:

-Bill

Things I would check; shifter linkage and it's adjustment, tranny mounts, engine mounts.

I wish I had more gears as it's running at 3000+ rpm at highway speeds.

That's pretty normal for the 5MT transmissions too. My '89GL would be doing about 3500rpm at 75mph on the highway. And oddly, keeping the engine at that rpm doesn't decrease the gas mileage... got 31mpg on a highway trip keeping it at 75ish on I70 most the time.

Z