Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Locks screwed up.

1989 RX EA82T 4EAT

Alright... yesterday evening as I was trying to head to work and I went to unlock my car.

All locks frozen.

I finally took some boiling water and heated up my driver side lock.

Well, that helped somewhat. I turned my key and it unlocked, but the key snapped off. :-\ After a few moments, I finally got the portion of the key out.

This isn't the first time I've had problems with unlocking my car. Sometimes it would have trouble turning and I'd often bend my key. On top of this my hatch keyhole has completely stopped working. And my passenger side rarely works.

My RX of course has the electric door lock. I don't know if it was ever Keyless entry at some point (Did they even offer that on these?); though having that ability would be wonderful.

So, any idea's on repairing this? Or even getting into my car without using the key? (I've definitely got to lock my car, downtown Tacoma and whatnot).

Thanks!

I am almost positive that Subaru did not offer keyless on these things.

This is all assuming you have an extra key. I thought I seen a product once that was in a compressed aerosol can that was specifically designed to thaw a lock, might want to check that out.

Could call a locksmith if S.O.L.

The ignition works just fine, so it's not the key.

It's all of my locks seem to be rusted/seized or whatever.

I did pick up some spray de-icer this morning. That didn't help at all.

So I'm probably going to have to call the locksmith. Either that or replace my door locks.

I have a '04 STi key that I had cut to my lock code and it works in my door locks but doesn't work in my hatch. I don't care too much but its titanium which is much stronger then the stock key is.

Sounds like you might need to grease the lock mechanisms and I don't mean the cylinders.

Lol, that might help. But I'll have to wait to go down to my dads place to get that done. I have almost nothing as far as tools here at my apartment.

Buy a can of any type spray lube that has a straw with it. Mine did the same thing the other morning and I used a spray bottle with hot water.

But once I got it thawed out, I sprayed into the lock mechanism with PB Blaster. Works like a champ right now, but a better lube should be used for long term.

I 2nd the last post. An old guy i worked for was putting this lube in a new truck he just bought. When i asked him what was what he tossed me the can and said put this in your locks and they will never freeze. I did that 3 years ago and ive never had a lock problem I now put it in once on every vehicle i have and i have never had a lock problem. Even in the bitter cold we have now i can still lock and unlock my subaru with ease.

Ben

I 2nd the last post. An old guy i worked for was putting this lube in a new truck he just bought. When i asked him what was what he tossed me the can and said put this in your locks and they will never freeze. I did that 3 years ago and ive never had a lock problem I now put it in once on every vehicle i have and i have never had a lock problem. Even in the bitter cold we have now i can still lock and unlock my subaru with ease.

Ben

what's the product???