Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Steering gear getting stuck

My steering is getting stuck when I turn to the left. It will be real tight until it kinda break loose back to the right, theres also alot of play in my steering as well. I havent been able to look into to it more with 10 inches of snow an 20 degrees the last week. Any suggestions would be good

My '78 brat did that, it's been parked for a while. Will be interested to see how this works out. Mine did it sporadically,someone here a long time ago thought the shaft or where it goes into the pinion might be binding on something. Is your rig lifted?

dave.

betting on rag joint if it has one..........?the rack itself would be sucking in moisture one way and not the other in the case of rack woes..........

the tie rid ends could be bent in one direction, but would not necessarily be pulling or pushing hard in one direction

as it would be seen in driving straight and not just turning yeah?

or overextending in the rack itself,past a gear or so.....then coming back in.?

power or not?cheers, brain

Sounds similar to my symptoms. It was hard to diagnose because, it would happen going down the road, no passenger to look while I stayed in the drivers seat... dead in the water in traffic until I muscled it back into place.

If I jacked up the front and turned the steering, it wouldn't do it.

I did the replcement method and redid the inners, outers (tierods) and the steering rack.

Like others I suspect the rag joint, or steering extention, or maybe it is hanging up while in rotation somewhere. I lost favor of that rig and parked it, since I had bought another brat and just drove it instead. Guess I need to get off my duff and revive the old brat, and take a new fresher look at it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Any word on this yet?

My 86 does almost the same thing, gets REALLY hard to turn at the same amount of rotation to the right or left of center. Airing up the tires a bit helped, but its still really tough. And this is a SERIOUS damper on rally-ability of my super scoob.

FYI, mines also Manual Steering and the column moves up and down within with little pressure applied to the wheel.

ive got an 81 wagon and the steering feels fine when you are making shallow turns. when i make a sharp turn it turns into the corner fine, it just sticks once its turned. when its sitting on snow, gravel or something else slippery the wheel turns back and forth just like id expect out of a little car with no power steering. it also feels free when the front is up on blocks. when making sharp turns on snow i also dont feel it stick so i think mine has something to do with the alignment of the tires causing them to bind when turned sharp