Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Dumping the Clutch Fan

Since im going to be ripping apart all this stuff to replace the water pump i was toying with the idea of not putting this back on. Maybe replaceing it with another electric cooling fan. My question is that since all my ac stuff is still in the car and hooked up. Will it be ok to remove this and possibly use my ac in the latter years.

Ben

why do you want do do that?

to make more millage?

my advice to you is to keep the clutch fan in its place.

make sure that the electric fan is working properly, and thats all.

if you have some problem like lake of power, the answer is to rebuild the carb an change fuel filter and spark plugs as well.

if everything is working properly don't tuch/

do not count the electric fan, the subbi needs 2 fans ' cause the engine is unusually sensitive to heat.

I replaced the twin electric fans on my Brat with a single larger after market fan and have had no trouble with overheating. Been like this for several years. With the twin electric factory fans both came on at the same time always when the temperature had risen such as a stop light etc. One fan stayed on all the time if the AC was on. I have had this Brat for over 11 years and it has always been that way with the factory twin fans. I think I have a Hayden 14" fan on it now but the AC I had disconnected years ago. I believe the factory twin fans pulled more air as the temperature gauge would come down quicker when they came on compared to the single Hayden. I have operated this Brat in temps up to 100 degrees with no problem idling with the single fan. You might need to wire a switch in to have the fan come on with the AC or it will not cool at idle. This could be a simple flip switch that is dash mounted.

most definitely!

come summer, you may want to put a second fan on there. but at least for the next 6-8 months, you won't notice any difference other than a touch more power and more mileage.

when the weather is 100*f warmer, then I will worry about it :rolleyes:

yea.

I ran one electric on all my EA82s (2 of them lifted). wired to a switch. never overheated due to insufficient airflow (yea, had a hose blow on the freeway, and occasionally would forget to flip the switch while wheeling...).

in fact, in the winter, I could just leave the heat on full blast, and it would stay plenty cool (rad was luke warm to the touch).

And as long as I was moving more than ~20mph or more, that was enough air to keep it cool.

this is all true of my EJ22 loyale as well. All using stock EA82 radiators, and the loyale is the only one with a new rad.

it helps that it doesn't get too hot up here, and Duluth isn't a large enough town that I have to worry about traffic....at all.

only exception was my buddy's '86 EA82 (now EJ-swapped, and dhise's). but, we knew that rad was crap, we knew the motor was crap. it didn't have A/C, so it didn't have a clutch fan on it, just wiring the electric fan to be on all the time pretty much fixed the problem.

the reasons to dump it? you won't gain much mileage, or power. but it makes the car easier to work on (that 14 minute timing belt never would have happened if the fan had been there!). and, I think they warm up a bit quicker in the winter, as there isn't moving air in the engine bay, but that might just be in my head.

in any case, it's entirely unneeded complexity.

Edited by Numbchux