Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Park lights stuck on after car wash??

On Saturday, we completed a drive through the salt capital of the world in the Black Tiger (to all those east of the Great Plains: You may think you live in the salt capital of the world, but that title actually belongs to Utah :) ). In an effort to prevent the immediate oxidation subsequent powdering of every scrap of metal and paint in the vehicle, I took it yesterday morning to be washed at a local southern Arizona facility. The people at the car wash had genuinely confused and even horrified looks on their faces, and asked with incredulity where I'd been. When I replied Utah, that slightly pacified some of them.

In any event, having used the entire contents of their pre-wash buckets along with their scrub brushes they actually got it fairly clean by the time it was all over. When we went out to get it, however, I noticed that the tail lights appeared to be on. This became confusing to me when the attendant handed me the keys since, of course, the lights go off when you turn the keys off. Once we got back to the place we're staying, I saw that the parking or running lights are all on. Not the headlights, but all the others. I played with the switch(es), signals, etc, and they're still on. Key on, off, or wherever doesn't matter. What gives?

I disconnected the battery to assure that we still have a functioning one, and will check it again here in a few minutes. The only thing I can come up with is that perhaps another trailer light wiring adapter has failed on me. I had one let go this past summer, so maybe another has shorted inside somehow? Is that reasonable that it could fail in such a way as to make the running/parking lights light up at all times? Thanks for any help or ideas.

Well...

What can I say besides DOH!! :banghead:

I thought for sure I'd checked or at least seen that, and am disappointed that I didn't for as long as I've had Subies with that switch. Anyway, thanks bheinen74.

Well at least you didn't spend time testing the wiring or worse.

I had an old co-worker who spend $400 at a shop getting this problem trouble shoot until I showed him the button.