Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2006 Legacy Turbo Catastrophic Engine Failure

My brothers 2006 Legacy Turbo blew up the other day.The Subaru tech told him a bearing seized in the Turbo and it sucked the oil out of the engine.His words,not mine.The car has 160,000 kms and it cost him $10,000 to fix it.Is ther a problem with these engines or was he just one of the unluckey ones.BTW.He had complained about excessive oil comsumption for a while before this happened and was told that using 4 litres of oil between scheduled oil changes was not excessive for this engine.???

He was just unlucky. This happens on bigrig diesel engines too on occasion. What happened is that the bearing failed, and wiped out the oil seal. The oil got sucked into the engine and byrned (and should have made a ton of smoke, doest he ever check his mirrors?). The car sucked all the engine oil and eventually the engine oil light should have come on, which i bet he didnt see.

On a Big Rig, since they burn oil to run, they get a run away engine they cant shut off and have to wait for the engine to self detruct usually (run out of oil).

Did he do regular oil changes?

nipper

something doesn't sound right in all of that. there's always details we don't know and another side to the story but yeah 4 liters between changes it not normal. the owners manual would probably say so.

10k for a motor? that's insane.

160k in 3 years? wow. 50k a year is intense.

i did a google on maynooth, and it comes up Ireland. SO the price is not out of line, especially when you conside he needed a turbo too.

If he was using 4 liter of oil between changes, it sounds like it is an operator issue,as he should have taken the car into someplace to find the cause od the oil consumption.

nipper

He was just unlucky. This happens on bigrig diesel engines too on occasion. What happened is that the bearing failed, and wiped out the oil seal. The oil got sucked into the engine and byrned (and should have made a ton of smoke, doest he ever check his mirrors?). The car sucked all the engine oil and eventually the engine oil light should have come on, which i bet he didnt see.

On a Big Rig, since they burn oil to run, they get a run away engine they cant shut off and have to wait for the engine to self detruct usually (run out of oil).

Did he do regular oil changes?

nipper

the diesel turbo failures I've seen could hide an aircraft carrier with all the smoke they make

160k in 3 years? wow. 50k a year is intense.

tsk tsk Gary, that's 160 kilometers not miles eh?

That still comes out to about 33k a year which is still a lot ( I should know, I don't get quite that high with my 500/mile daily commute!) Probably even more unless he bought his car in January.

tsk tsk Gary, that's 160 kilometers not miles eh?

That still comes out to about 33k a year which is still a lot ( I should know, I don't get quite that high with my 500/mile daily commute!) Probably even more unless he bought his car in January.

You drive 500 miles a day?!?!?:eek:

A ship mechanic told me once he rigged up tarps over the engines so when he got a runaway he could simply drop the tarp over the (supercharged) intake to starve it of air. That would stop them!

On cars with cats you may not see any oil smoke, or just a puff on a cold start since the cats tend to burn it all off... somehow.

Agree the turbo should have been changed long ago, certainly before the one time he forgot to check the oil level leading up to the engine failure.

Yeah, I don't know how long-haul truckers do it. I love a good road-trip, I've done cross-country trips 9 times in the last 4 years and countless camping jaunts of a few hundred each way, but I couldn't do it week after week after week. Even 100 a day (to and from work) is no fun. I'm looking for a way out, but for right now I'm stuck with it.

if that oil consumption was verified/documented prior, it sounds to me like that dealer could be confronted.

rare, but it happens. you can't introduce a system that adds parts, hoses, clamps, failure points, and significantly increases temperatures and keep the same kind of reliability of a non turbo engine.

when i lived there will i was doing 120 a day. i started at 3.5 day per week (3 one week, 4 the next) then went to 4 days a week with promotions, etc.

my dad works 2+ days per week from home. took him 6 months of me convincing him to ask/look for that kind of a schedule. he's glad he finally pursued it! guess you don't have any options like that?

helps to have something to leverage in your favor of course. skills, experience, some kind of organizational benefit to the folks you're working for. look for it, find it, make it happen?

when i moved to WV they offered a 2 day per week gig, which i took.

Gary - ah so you know the pain. I was doing 4 10's for awhile which was a bit better, but the 10 hour days were really 14 hour days after lunch and the commute time was added in, and thanks to traffic patterns I was up at 4:30am everyday to make it work. I'm a naturally early riser but 4:30 is pushing it for me. After the other full-time guy in the shop quit I had to go back to a regular schedule since the shop can't be closed any weekday.

Sadly, any kind of telecommuting probably won't work. My job involves lots of one on one time with professors, grads, and undergrads, to help design and fabricate/machine stuff so I really need to be there to do it. I've started piecing together a shop at home for my own purposes and I thought about saving up some of the drawings and seeing if I could talk them into letting me machine stuff at home a couple of days a week, but the shop is still looking pretty anemic so unless they're willing to buy me a bunch of machines and upgrade my power I don't see that happening anytime soon. Not to mention they'd still need to hire somebody to watch the shop while I'm not around.

I suppose we could move back into another 400 sqft apartment in the city for $1360 a month....:horse:

Sorry for the hijack...

i did a google on maynooth, and it comes up Ireland. SO the price is not out of line, especially when you conside he needed a turbo too.

If he was using 4 liter of oil between changes, it sounds like it is an operator issue,as he should have taken the car into someplace to find the cause od the oil consumption.

nipper

Maynooth,Ontario,Canada.As far as I know he did regular oil changes.He is a salesman thus the high mileage.

Remember, the turbo is lubricated by the engine oil.

High oil consumption = low lubrication to the turbo.

Most common cause of that kind of oil consumption, all else being ok: Bad PCV valve. A $12 part that causes so many engine failures because dealers tend to overdiagnose issues. If they can't find it on a scanner, it doesn't exist. A bad PCV valve won't show up on a scanner because it's mechanical.

My bet is that if he had changed the PCV valve early he would have saved himself $10,000!!

Emily

http://www.ccrengines.com

Most common cause of that kind of oil consumption, all else being ok: Bad PCV valve. A $12 part that causes so many engine failures because dealers tend to overdiagnose issues. If they can't find it on a scanner, it doesn't exist. A bad PCV valve won't show up on a scanner because it's mechanical.

My bet is that if he had changed the PCV valve early he would have saved himself $10,000!!

Emily

Thats quite possible.

nipper

Emily

My local Subaru dealer (Liberty Subaru in Oradell, NJ) changes the PCV during the 30K servicing. Now I know why!

Wormser