Ultimate Subaru Message Board

time to de-rwd my loyale

ok so haynes says cvs and wheel bearings can only be done by a shop, i don't buy that for a second. i saw the wheel bearing photo essay and it doesn't look all that bad. so if im correct in my assumptions i will need:

4 wheel bearings 6207 part #

and 2 new cv's. (found them on ebay for like 60 somthing shipped.

is there anything else i'll need?

how long should this take (2 guys avg amount of tools,garage 20-30 deg outside no heat in the garage)

special tools and any tips would be apperciated.

dude the haynes manual can be so full of BS sometimes.... All you need is the new bearings, the new axles, a proper wrench set (+ the BIG wrench for the axle nut) and a BFH to beat the axle out of the hub. Gettin it out is easy, the harder part is gettin the new axle into the new bearings, but its still easy. Just reverse of removal.

-Bill

Dont forget bearing seals as well. Im pretty sure its the same part number for the inner & outer seals, but its been so long since ive done them i cant remember.

4x Bearing

4x Seals

2x CV Joints

1x Bearing Grease

50x Rags

1x Patience & Understanding.

Its a pretty simple, straightforward job. Forget what the hayes manual says.

you guy in the US must get the Lawyer approved "don't sue me" version's of the haines manuals.....

the only thing my ones don't show is how to strip and rebuild the internals of an automatic transmission....i've never hit anything else it doesn't show and theres not much on my brumby that i havent done and the haines manuals i have for the EA82 and legacys are the same...only miss showing internals of auto 'boxs

Inner and outer bearing seals are different. If you are careful you can reuse them, but for the <20 dollars, it's worth getting them if you can.

You'll need a fairly large drift punch. The old bearings get hammered out, the new ones hammered or pressed in. Be careful to only use the punch on the outer race of the new bearings.

Don't forget the spacer.

When it comes time to pull the axle through, I have a trick.

Cut 2, 6 inch pieces of angle iron. Nowe, before you put the hub and outer seal on, you can use the angle iron to *bridge* over the bearings, one on either side of the axle shaft. Now you have a firm shoulder to *pull* the axle through by tightening the axle nut.

You will have to stop, back off the nut, and add washers to get the final pull. Once it's though far enough to ge tthe hub on, you can pull it the rest of the way when tightening the axle nut.

ok so haynes says cvs and wheel bearings can only be done by a shop, i don't buy that for a second. i saw the wheel bearing photo essay and it doesn't look all that bad. so if im correct in my assumptions i will need:

4 wheel bearings 6207 part #

and 2 new cv's. (found them on ebay for like 60 somthing shipped.

is there anything else i'll need?

how long should this take (2 guys avg amount of tools,garage 20-30 deg outside no heat in the garage)

special tools and any tips would be apperciated.

All it says is "they can not be removed without a hydraulic press and the right adapters" which roughly translated means a big hammer and some forthought.

nipper

Tap evenly around the outter race of the bearing. You cannot drive the bearing through the hub, you have to tap it out from the inside.

Between each bearing is a spacer, which makes things alittle difficult. Once the first bearing is out, the spacer can be removed and the second bearing is easier to get out.

If you tap using the inner race, it will break free and you will have a broken bearing stuck in the hub, and can make things alittle more difficult.

!!EXTREMELY IMPORTANT!!

When you are installing the new bearings. DO NOT tap or impact the inner race of the bearing. You must drive the bearing into the hub by the outter race. If you impact the inner race you risk damaging the bearing. It doesnt take much force at all to damage the bearing. Alittle grease on the walls of the hub and the outside of the bearing will make things go alittle easier.

Once you get the bearing started, it will go in fairly easily. The problem is getting it started. Its an extremely tight fit. Its frustrating. If you start to lose your temper, its best to walk away and come back.

The center of the hub has a raised portion which the bearings sit against. You tap the bearing all the way into the hub until it hits and sits evenly on this raised portion. Before you install the second bearing, make sure you have your spacer installed... and a good amount of grease between the two never hurts.

I've replaced the bearings on my Loyale. Did the drivers side shortly after I bought the car and they must have been bad for a while because I had to wail on them like a blacksmith to get them out! A year and a half later I had the passenger side bearings go and I was thinking it was going to be a pain in the rear again, but this time they just tapped right out. Easy job when they do that!

I also cheat and use a tool that pulls the axle through the bearings, and the last bearing job I did I picked up a cheap harbor freight hub tamer that made pressing the bearings in very easy.

Pack the new bearings with grease, then wrap them in waxed paper and put them in the freezer for a day.. the metal will contract enough that it will make them a little easier to put in.

Some people heat the knuckle with a torch to expand it and make it easier still to put the bearings in.. I've never been a fan of this due to all of the flammable stuff in that area so caveat emptor. Good luck!

Pack the new bearings with grease, then wrap them in waxed paper and put them in the freezer for a day.. the metal will contract enough that it will make them a little easier to put in.

Some people heat the knuckle with a torch to expand it and make it easier still to put the bearings in.. I've never been a fan of this due to all of the flammable stuff in that area so caveat emptor. Good luck!

Not to mention it takes alot of heat over quite alot of time to heat it up enough to really make a difference (unless you use your oven).

nipper