Ultimate Subaru Message Board

It broke today

Ok, here's the background. 1987 GL wagon, 230,000 miles, 5spd.

While driving over Snoqualmie pass this morning, I noticed my windshield wipers slow down considerably. I look at my dash in horror as I see my voltage at ~ 10 volts. Scanning the dash, I see my temp gauge creeping up towards the H. There was no where to pull over and no exit I could take. I was forced to go a few more miles until I could get to the next freeway offramp. I shut the car down right away and saw plenty of steam rise from under the hood as I came to a stop. I popped the hood and found the source of the steam to be from somewhere under/behind the power steering reservoir. Tow truck came and got me and long story short I'm at work with my other car.

I don't know what I'm going to do now. I hope my head gaskets aren't trashed. I don't even know where to start.

Did you're Alternator belt break? That would be the thing that would cause low voltage and oveheating.

There is a small coolant hose that runs from the manifold to the block right in that area under the PS pump.

Perhaps the belt brake, caused high temp and pressure, that then blew the little hose?

Did you're Alternator belt break? That would be the thing that would cause low voltage and oveheating.

There is a small coolant hose that runs from the manifold to the block right in that area under the PS pump.

Perhaps the belt brake, caused high temp and pressure, that then blew the little hose?

I didn't see any broken belt, but I'm sure they could stand to be changed anyway. I figured they had to at least be slipping for my voltage to drop the way it did. The only problem is why would it slip that bad?

If the temp gauge didn't peg in the red, than you should be okay.
It was much higher than I've ever seen it before, but it was still a few needle widths from the red. Then again, how well would it read if there's no coolant?

It may affect it a tad, but if it were hot enough to damage the engine, the needle would be far into the red zone.
I won't sweat it then. I worry so much about the head gaskets. I'll check the coolant hoses, pulleys and belts. Hopefully it's nothing too major.

I had a similar situation happen to me about 5 years ago, while I was cruising down the highway in my '88 GL-10. Everything was going great, that is, until I went to pass a slow moving vehicle. As I downshifted and the turbo came online, the car began to lose power. I quick scanned my dash and noticed that my temp gauge was up higher than normal, and there was also the pungent aroma of antifreeze. Luckily, I was able to get off of the highway at the next exit(about 1/4 mile away) and pull into a service station parking lot to examine the engine. Well, to my suprise, there was steam coming out from under the intake manifold, but I couldn't make out exactly where it was coming from. To make a long story short, I limped it home after allowing it to cool off and it wound up being a cracked capillary hose under the manifold that I didn't replace. About 20 minutes later I had the problem resolved and was back on the road. Fun stuff. Anyway, that story was probably completely unnecessary, but I figured that I would share it.

Patrick

To let your mind at ease, you could perform a compression test afterwards. That will tell you for sure if there is any terminal damage.
Yeah I'll dig out my compression tester when I go home this weekend. If everything looks good, I might even give it a tuneup while I'm in there.

Rag_v2, if your engine has any little hoses running under the intake manifold, you may want to check them for cracks & leaks. They are some of the easiest to miss and hardest to replace, but well worth the effort and the peace of mind. It could be that one of them sprung a leak, sprayed coolant on your belt or alternator, in turn causing the reduced voltage shown on your gauge and also the increase in engine temp produced by the loss of engine coolant. Now this is just a theory, so don't qoute me on it or take it as fact. It is purely an example. It may give you a place to start looking when you go to repair your car. I hope this helps.

Patrick

Rag_v2, if your engine has any little hoses running under the intake manifold, you may want to check them for cracks & leaks. They are some of the easiest to miss and hardest to replace, but well worth the effort and the peace of mind. It could be that one of them sprung a leak, sprayed coolant on your belt or alternator, in turn causing the reduced voltage shown on your gauge and also the increase in engine temp produced by the loss of engine coolant. Now this is just a theory, so don't qoute me on it or take it as fact. It is purely an example. It may give you a place to start looking when you go to repair your car. I hope this helps.

Patrick

Thanks Patrick. I'll be sure to check any and all hoses. I certainly don't want a repeat of this morning.

...Also, Do Not Forget the 90º 5/8" Hose that comes from the Water Pump to the Pipe that goes to the Heater... it is Hidden Around Under the A/C Compressor unit, so if it Fails, your Subie will have the Same Behaviour...

I`ve had that Problem, back in 1996...

The only Problem with to Change that 90º 5/8" Hose, is to get there...

Good Luck!

An Anti-freeze leak, spraying on the belt(s) or pulleys will let the belt(s) slip. It is a lubricant of sorts... Pure Anti-Freeze is some slippery stuff..

As said, check all hoses for signs of leakage, 'specially those small hoses around/under the intake manifold.

If it does turn out to be the heater supply (off waterpump to metal tube) hose under the altenator, a Gates 28466 hose is what you want to get, trim to fit....

You may want to source yourself another altenator for a spare, just to be on the safe side. Anti-Freeze sprayed into an alt will shorten the life of them. May take some time to go bad, may not. Anti-Freeze plays havock with the lubrication of bearing, no matter what part of an engine those bearings are in..

...Also, Do Not Forget the 90º 5/8" Hose that comes from the Water Pump to the Pipe that goes to the Heater... it is Hidden Around Under the A/C Compressor unit, so if it Fails, your Subie will have the Same Behaviour...

I`ve had that Problem, back in 1996...

The only Problem with to Change that 90º 5/8" Hose, is to get there...

Good Luck!

I appreciate the input. I definitely going to replace all of the hoses.

An Anti-freeze leak, spraying on the belt(s) or pulleys will let the belt(s) slip. It is a lubricant of sorts... Pure Anti-Freeze is some slippery stuff..

As said, check all hoses for signs of leakage, 'specially those small hoses around/under the intake manifold.

If it does turn out to be the heater supply (off waterpump to metal tube) hose under the altenator, a Gates 28466 hose is what you want to get, trim to fit....

You may want to source yourself another altenator for a spare, just to be on the safe side. Anti-Freeze sprayed into an alt will shorten the life of them. May take some time to go bad, may not. Anti-Freeze plays havock with the lubrication of bearing, no matter what part of an engine those bearings are in..

I hope the alternator didn't get hosed down. I hate antifreeze. It trashes everything. I don't have the cash for another alternator.