Ultimate Subaru Message Board

loyale 3at transmission woes

92 loyale wagon 110k 3 speed auto FWD SPFI *NO CHECK ENGINE LITE

OK.. i know what most of ya think of the ea82 & the 3AT, but need a ride with a automatic trans and she works for me. Plus I put in much repair time since i purchased her 1 year ago. *I have reviewed the forums and have a repair manual... still need help folks!

did tune-up: cap/rotor, plugs/wires, PCV, timing belt (timing @ 20), oil fluid & pan, trans fluid & pan, seafoam, sensor cleaning, trans modulator... cant think of what else. *all fluids full, no vaccum leaks

after the trans fluid/filter replacement, having problems:

IN DRIVE FROM STANDSTILL, SHIFTING FROM 1ST TO 2ND: (sometimes) slips/stutters and or is very noisy and rough. have to release gas pedal or do a manual shift to 1st then to 2nd.

COMMING TO A STOP AND OR SLOWING DOWN: (always) when trying to accelerate from a yeild sign or a speed bump the transmission does not automaticly down shift to a lower gear, always have to manual drop to 2nd gear or press the gas pedal almost to the ground to downshift.

tried the band adjustment... very cumbersome and after 15 times of jacking my ride to do the adjustment really not sure if it's correct, anyone know how to reset the adjustment? replaced the trans modulator (fram FM2324), is fluid suppose to come out of the trans when replacing? according to the instructions the unit come pre-set but if required due to slippage or soft shifts; adjust 2 full clockwise turn. *I did this

*how can you tell if your cat converter if cloged? exaust sounds fine to me

*timing according to book is 20+-2, any other suggestions?

*on hwy 3rd gear: doing 3300-3400rpm @ 55mpg, 3600-3800rpm @ 60mpg. is this normal?

"is fluid suppose to come out of the trans when replacing?"

Yes.

"*on hwy 3rd gear: doing 3300-3400rpm @ 55mpg, 3600-3800rpm @ 60mpg. is this normal?"

Yes.

Doug

Edit:picture.php?albumid=81&pictureid=580

I serviced one of these transmissions recently. The factory gasket stuck to the pan, in good shape, and I didn't replace it. The filter is reuseable. Just clean it. Not sure what you had, and why you replaced them.

Problem surfaced after the fluid change. I'd try another change of fluid and clean the pan and magnet well. Tranny might not have had the proper fluid changes and some crud built up.

hth,

Doug

Edited by Quidam
Add picture.

COMMING TO A STOP AND OR SLOWING DOWN: (always) when trying to accelerate from a yeild sign or a speed bump the transmission does not automaticly down shift to a lower gear, always have to manual drop to 2nd gear or press the gas pedal almost to the ground to downshift.

This is a sure sign that your governor gear is apple cored. On the transmission up by the bellhousing end there is a 4" diameter "can" sticking off of the side. It's held down by 3 bolts. Remove the bolts, pull the can off, and then pull the governor out of the side of the tranny. it will look like a piece of pipe welded at a 90 degree to a spiral gear. The spiral gear should have a profile like this [], not like this )(. If it looks like the second one, the gear is apple cored, and the govenor isn't being spun, causing the shifting issues.

If the gear is still straight, then the governor needs cleaning. There used to be a how-to on this in the usrm, but I can't find it anymore.

91Loyale, laid the straight skinny on the line, Mr Wongie.

I wrote the forementioned article on correcting a knackered Gov

It's in the old repair manual which has not been tranfered to this server yet.

I still have a copy with pictures I could email you (it's in a .doc format)

I have replaced the fluid twice and added lucus additive, dex II i believe. the reason to replace the filter and gasket is becuase it was cheap & not due to any malfunction.

wongie

"is fluid suppose to come out of the trans when replacing?"

Yes.

"*on hwy 3rd gear: doing 3300-3400rpm @ 55mpg, 3600-3800rpm @ 60mpg. is this normal?"

Yes.

Doug

Edit:picture.php?albumid=81&pictureid=580

I serviced one of these transmissions recently. The factory gasket stuck to the pan, in good shape, and I didn't replace it. The filter is reuseable. Just clean it. Not sure what you had, and why you replaced them.

Problem surfaced after the fluid change. I'd try another change of fluid and clean the pan and magnet well. Tranny might not have had the proper fluid changes and some crud built up.

hth,

Doug

anybody got a part number and or website for a governor? the closest P/N i found is 31450AA021 but no results found online. tried several part sites but no luck.

wongie

This is a sure sign that your governor gear is apple cored. On the transmission up by the bellhousing end there is a 4" diameter "can" sticking off of the side. It's held down by 3 bolts. Remove the bolts, pull the can off, and then pull the governor out of the side of the tranny. it will look like a piece of pipe welded at a 90 degree to a spiral gear. The spiral gear should have a profile like this [], not like this )(. If it looks like the second one, the gear is apple cored, and the govenor isn't being spun, causing the shifting issues.

If the gear is still straight, then the governor needs cleaning. There used to be a how-to on this in the usrm, but I can't find it anymore.

oops... yea MPH,

however... I am getting a avg of 19mpg. (calculated by gallons of gas filled divided by total miles traveled) live in hawaii... kind of flat here.

Most certainly not. Generally, these cars get more like 20 to 30mpg.... and it usually doesn't increase as you go faster on the highway.

You mean mph I think.....

Here are three of those govenor thingies:) Top one I pulled today, 92 Loyale. It's good.

Next, 88 GL, good. Then 86 GL, good.

Three cars I've owned and none of them bad. YMMV As suggested by 911Loyale, it may need cleaned, unstuck. The middle one of mine needed freeed up.

hth,

Doug

picture.php?albumid=81&pictureid=584

the operation involves removing the shuttle

It is the spool valve mechanism.

Clean varnish off of it and more importantly

deburr the ends of the shuttle.

3atdeburr.jpg

These burrs can cause it to hang up in the

cylinder it travels in.

If it hangs so does the gear shift.

Edited by Skip

I took mines out... like you said 10 mins top! the cover screws were loose as if someone before me was working on it. it didn't look that bad and no apple coring and the gears look fine... only a very minor ring grove around the shaft part due to wear? cleaned it up and re-installed. did a test run and gotta tell ya folks... the symptoms decreased alot! I took some pictures but I could not figure out how to show them.

pull the governor out first, its like a 10 minute job, look at it and see if it needs a gear or cleaning. i would assume its a dealer only part.

removed the govenor... the cover screws were loose as if someone before me was working on it. not that bad... no apple core, litttle surface gunk and a very minor gouge/ring around the shaft. cleaned it up and reinstalled then a test run.

gotta say.. i am amazed! the symtoms decreased alot! now since the rough slipping and noise decreased, i notice a small sputter when it shifts from 1st to 2nd and the shifting seems to be very soft. (around 2300 rpm)

the quest continues....

didn't know i had to go that much in depth... will do it when have more time and will keep everyone posted on the results...

the quest continues...

did you have it torn down to this level?

govteardown.jpg

If not that is what is needed to correct your problem

Good luck, I tried.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone,

finally had time to take the govenor out, took it apart like the picture and did a good cleaning. please folks remember to put some RTV aorund the cover if you dont want any trans fluid leaking onto your exaust. did a test run and really no big difference. (considering the unit was really clean and in good condition) I went back to the vaccum modulator and cranked it 4 times clockwise from stock position... test run and you wont believe but I had 0 of the problems I listed in this thread.

going to run the wagon a fewdays to see if that was the fix.

more to come....