Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi. I'm new to this fine site. Just bought my son an 88 GL wagon. Has about 190k miles and has been mechanically gone over by the previous owner. It appears to be in very good mechanical condition and so far it runs very well. Shifts into 4wd easily but there is a noticable clunk when it is shifted out. Is this normal? Any other comments, tips, and suggestions is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

PS. I also own an 81 fiat X 1/9, let the comments begin, Ha!

Ross Masson

Meridian, ID

It is fairly normal for the 4wd to "clunk" when disengaging.

What happens is that tension is stored in the drivetrain between the front and raer axles. Espescially if you have been testing it on pavement in 4wd. The Clunk is just the relaese of that stress

BTW, you and he should both know NOT to use the 4wd on pavement. Only in Gravel, Snow, Mud, or maybe a very, very wet and slick road.

hope everything else goes well.

Do you happen to know when the timing belts were last changed?

Welcome too the board:

Great selection for new drivers as I had recently gifted my 88 wagon too a newish driver as they are bigish for small cars, low power on starts, can take most abuse dished out by kids and great car to learn how to tinker on.. as it will need some love and attention down the road.

The only real down side is no air-bags... but this is when I say don't do anything stupid and watch out for the idiot drivers! anywho...

welcome to the board!

Also, check that all 4 tires are the same make / model and treadwear. If they are different, they will have different diameters, and aggrivate the clunk. If they are different, it isn't as bad as an all wheel drive, since you only switch to 4WD when the road is slippery.

I agree with the tire sizes being an issue, also, it may just be uneven wear between the tires too. The front tires will wear down faster than the rear.

I assume that this is a manual tranny car since you say "shift" out of 4wd. So try changing the tranny gear oil and using a quart of Rislone in it. It will clean it up a bit and get into the syncros and bearings to help it shift smoother. It's an old trick that's been on the board since the early days.

It will work in any tranny that uses gear oil or motor oil, not an automatic.

Edited by Frank B