Ultimate Subaru Message Board

when driving, idling, all the time, does it ever change, does it ever go away, is it always present?

we can't see, hear, smell, or touch the the car so more info helps us.

i wouldn't say it's normal, but i can't hear it either. sounds like maybe just something is loose. check the air filter clips and other things for looseness.

often you can roam around with your hand and the "something" that's making the noise will change when you touch it or something related to it.

pay particular attention to anything that's been worked on in the past - changing of the air filter for instance.

Common complaint - search around here. Most say it's the IAC. I got one the other day and it seems further up front on the pass side - more like around the canister on a 97 OBW but I haven't really tracked it down yet.

Harmless - what's a little humm?

• 1 year later...

I have a '96 with the 2.5 dohc and the same sound. I have only had the car for about 3 months so not alot of time to search it out yet. When I was working at the subaru shop we had this same issue now and then and it was never the reason for the repair requested so we just left it alone. I know it is part of the reason for all the extra silencer piping and chambers on the intake supply tubing. I have also read something about ribs in the intake being part of the cause. I still plan on taking time to figure mine out. I have a low cat efficiency code to deal with right now. Maybe partialy plugged cat is causing extra pack pressure and noise in the intake. We will see. Hope you enjoyed the novel.:popcorn: