Ultimate Subaru Message Board

motor mounts question

I have yet to look at it on my 85 brat so excuse me if I am missing something obvious.

But I need some new motor mounts.. at least the issues I am having points to that problem.

When you look on Rock Auto's web page they show one part number for the back one and one part number for the front one but in the front mount description it indicates a right and a left.

So my question is, is there a different part number for the right and a different part number for the left or are they the same thing? And if they are do I just order two for the front and two for the back?

I need to bust out my manuals but I hope these things are as easy to replace as I think they will be. Just a piece of wedge wood and some hand tools.

I have yet to look at it on my 85 brat so excuse me if I am missing something obvious.

But I need some new motor mounts.. at least the issues I am having points to that problem.

When you look on Rock Auto's web page they show one part number for the back one and one part number for the front one but in the front mount description it indicates a right and a left.

So my question is, is there a different part number for the right and a different part number for the left or are they the same thing? And if they are do I just order two for the front and two for the back?

I need to bust out my manuals but I hope these things are as easy to replace as I think they will be. Just a piece of wedge wood and some hand tools.

I had a hard time finding them for my Brat. I ended up finding a used set. Good luck!

So I just need some one to verify that all I need is two of these for a manual tranny?

Yes. and you'll have to drop your exuast to get to these if you want to do them with out pulling the motor. Also I've just jacked up the motor at the oil pan and swapped them out that way..........I hope you have small hands cause it's kind of a pain. You'll also have to swap the mounting brackets too, it looks like from the pic. you'll figure it out once you get there..

Hope that might help you a little in your venture.

Jeff

I'd do the tranny mounts at the same time, and make sure your pitch stopper is adjusted properly too....

For the EA82 bodies, the right and left ones are different -- because they have two angles on them for where they touch the engine and the engine side of the bell housing. However, the picture you showed of an EA81 mount looked like it did not have the two different angle flanges on it..... I was becoming all to familiar with EA82 mounts on Sunday, but it's been several months since I looked at an EA81 mount... so I can't remember for sure.

Z

For the EA82 bodies, the right and left ones are different -- because they have two angles on them for where they touch the engine and the engine side of the bell housing. However, the picture you showed of an EA81 mount looked like it did not have the two different angle flanges on it..... I was becoming all to familiar with EA82 mounts on Sunday, but it's been several months since I looked at an EA81 mount... so I can't remember for sure.

Z

It is a ea-81. I need to turn some renches on the brat. I have been having some one else do the work with the lift and the swap and I feel lost. I look forward to repalcing these and the clutch cable.

Every one keeps talking about flages or mounting tabs. I wont know what they mean in till I get under neith it and start looking my self.

I would not trust RockAuto. They burnt me for my Honda parts. So who would guarantee that their Subaru catalog is correct!

Sam

NO ONE's subaru catalog seems to be correct. I've actually had better luck at RockAuto than the local Napa or Checker.... still not perfect, but better.... I bought a new cap and rotor for my SPFI EA82 yesterday at Checker, and they had 5 options, none of which even looked the same, or were differentiated in the computer. I had to identify it by taking the old one in... Part of the issue is that if you tell them exactly what engine, they can't look it up -- they don't know what a SPFI EA82 is....

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick FYI.. They were the right parts and are installed in the brat now. Now I have to replace the alt.. it is going bad. Good news is I have a 100amp in the mail on its way. Now I just got to see how it is going to clear the factory air cleaner.:-\ Or find a good priced WEBER.

It turned out one of the mounts that bolt to the motor was missing a bolt. The motor actually sits diffrent now every thing is in tight. I could see how that would throw off the way it shifts but now all is well.

Edited by 7point62fmj