Ultimate Subaru Message Board

i'm left with two options... which to pick....

yeah, i WANT the 81... its been sitting since 01, but the guy went out and said it fired right up... i'm just worried about not being able to get it to smog.. if i cant smog it, then it;s useless and i'll have to practically give it away... which sucks.... plus, a plus to the other car is that the same person has always owned it, which seems like a good perk... but im for sure leaning to the 81...

:grin: haha.. i'm not sure what they did.. it's just sitting in the yard... the kid who is selling it is selling it for his landloard.... to who really knows what in the work was done to try and make it pass.... plus, the kid is willing to do best offer on the car, but the price goes up every time i ask him to go out and check on something on the car! haaha... so i think i should just drive down and see for myself... :lol: stupid CA smog.... I HATE YOU I HATE YOU I HATE YOU! i've lost 2 cars to you thus far.. i will not lose another!!!!

Actually its the 81 GL Brat that had the ea81 first. The 80 Brat is still a 1600. The 81 was also the first brat with a dual range transmission.

The first cars (Subaru of America) to get the EA81 with the newer body style were the hatchback with the 3AT Automatic in 1980 FWD, and the 81 Wagon. This was the debut year of the hatchback and the new style wagon.

Subaru doesn't make this easy to remember but it helps to think that the models don't overlap. They didnt have an old gen brat and a new in the same year for example.

Back on topic I would buy the one that looks the least tampered with of the two regardless of which one is known to pass smog or not. The 84 could just as easily fail and has even more pollution control devices on it to fail with.

Smog is #2 priority in my book. BODY is 1st. Then smog, then interior condition. The body is the hardest to overcome and most expensive to do right. Smog can kick your butt for a long time but can be overcome. With the 84 you do lose the cyclops light but it can be retrofitted in.

Actually its the 81 GL Brat that had the ea81 first. The 80 Brat is still a 1600. The 81 was also the first brat with a dual range transmission.

The first cars (Subaru of America) to get the EA81 with the newer body style were the hatchback with the 3AT Automatic in 1980 FWD, and the 81 Wagon. This was the debut year of the hatchback and the new style wagon.

Subaru doesn't make this easy to remember but it helps to think that the models don't overlap. They didnt have an old gen brat and a new in the same year for example.

Back on topic I would buy the one that looks the least tampered with of the two regardless of which one is known to pass smog or not. The 84 could just as easily fail and has even more pollution control devices on it to fail with.

Smog is #2 priority in my book. BODY is 1st. Then smog, then interior condition. The body is the hardest to overcome and most expensive to do right. Smog can kick your butt for a long time but can be overcome. With the 84 you do lose the cyclops light but it can be retrofitted in.

HE's right, i stand corrected.