Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1981 Brat Lift Kit

kellyray

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're not likely to find much for an 81 as it has the 1st gen chassis. This should be in the historic or off road forum.

Have a search around here, I think people may have made their own kits, but I've not heard of an aftermarket one.

Edited by cubastreet

EA71 = 1600 engine

EA81 = 1800 engine OHV

EA82 = 1800 Engine OHC

in the '81 Brats, you could get both the ea71 and ea81

the GL Brat (4 headlights) got the ea81, and the DL (2 headlights) got the EA71.

Check out the Subarus of the 80's link in the menu above (or in my sig). There a Brat Encyclopedia of sorts there, plus lots of other information and stuff....

EA71 is the engine code for your car. EA81 is the 1800cc bigger brother. The engines were available in Subaru's from 1977 till 1984. In 1985 they introduced the EA82 which is 1800cc like the EA81, but OHC. The body style also changed in 1985.

When we mention a "EA car" its usually refferencing the older generation. Since the new generation (Legacy, Impreza, Forester) all use engines with the EJ code (EJ18, EJ20, EJ22, EJ25).

I know I have a 1.8 liter, (1800cc) size motor. I can find lift kits for EA81. Does that mean it will fit my Brat? It does have the 4 head lights. Another random question, Does the size of the motor have anything to do with a lift kit? Someone said i have a gen 1 chass and its going to be hard to find a kit. but also was said if i have 4 head lights i have a ea81 and i can find the kits for that. Should i not pay attition to the motor size when im looking for lift kit. Should i just make sure that the lift is for a gen 1 chass.?

Thanks again for all the help.

I know I have a 1.8 liter, (1800cc) size motor. I can find lift kits for EA81. Does that mean it will fit my Brat? It does have the 4 head lights. Another random question, Does the size of the motor have anything to do with a lift kit? Someone said i have a gen 1 chass and its going to be hard to find a kit. but also was said if i have 4 head lights i have a ea81 and i can find the kits for that. Should i not pay attition to the motor size when im looking for lift kit. Should i just make sure that the lift is for a gen 1 chass.?

OK, to clear up confusion

IF you have a 1981 Brat it is a GEN 1 no matter what motor. different engine sizes were available but the chassis is GEN 1.

Gen 1 lifts are a pita because the rear torsion bars are independent and at akward angles. There are a few out there though, talk to Micheal Appel on this board, he and a friend lifted a Gen 1 6" i believe.

-Bill

there is some cross of engines and body style.

Yours is a Gen1 body style, which the Brat was the only Gen1 Body to get an ea81 engine, but you could get an ea71 engine in some of the Gen2 body styles.

Anyway, refernce GEn1 lift kits in regards to your Brat, just like I have in my post in the OffRoad forum.

General with exceptions listed behind.... (and engine designations available)

DL/GL Gen1 = 72-79, 78-81 for Brat (ea61, ea63, ea71, ea81)

DL/GL Gen2 = 80-84, 82-87 for Brat, 80-89 for Hatchback (ea71, ea81, ea81T)

DL/GL Gen3 = 85-94 (DL/GL became Loyale in 1990) (EA82, EA82T)

Legacy Gen1 = 1990-1994

there are more ways to break it down, and my engine list is incomplete...but this is the "general" listing. and I didn;'t include the XT/XT6 lists....

Bill

Thanks,

Honestly im a chey man and this subaru stuff was confusing the hell out of me. I sure do like this little brat, The only thing that sucks is that its so low to the ground. Bill do you know if i found a 4" lift would i have to change any cv axles?

Kelly O

It depends on what kind of lift you get, with my lifts I usually lift the suspension and the body an equal amount, so if i go 4" at the struts then I lower the engine and tranny crossmembers and rear sub assembly 4" as well. Some kits lift the suspension 4" and the body 2", but on a Gen 1 that puts too much stress on the axles, they are a lot shorter than the later EA81 and EA82 axles.

-Bill

Bill,

Im just looking to gain a little more ground clearance by putting bigger tires. I need gain some space for a bigger tire. (im not talking huge tires) What would you suggest lift wise? Body or sup.?

Another question, have you ever done the 6 lug converstion? Im a machinist and it doenst seem to hard to do. what do you think about it.

kelly O

If your a machinist, then you should have everything needed to perform the 6 lug. And if you are looking for larger rims & Tires its the easiest & cheapest way to find 14" rims.

Your body style is a Gen1 and you must search for a Gen1 lift. No matter what the engine or headlight configuration. Like mentioned before, the rear of the Gen1 chassi is different than the Gen2, and that is where things get complicated. People have swapped a Gen2 rear torsion bar into a Gen1 brat to solve the problem, but the Gen2's are wider and the rear will look alittle goofy with a wider track.

2" or 3" of lift should be plenty to clear some larger tires. You wont be running 28" swampers or anything... unless you like cutting sheet metal.

Ok one more question and i will leave all of yall alone. If i was to go ahead and do the 6 lug conversion and put 15" wheels on my 1981 Gen1 Brat, what would be the biggest tire i could put on there without it rubbing too bad? I know its probably a low profile tire but whats the biggest without any kind of lift. I would just like to know bc i dont want to start buying tires just to see if they will rub or not. Is it even be worth converting to 6 lug if i dont lift it? There are no tires that i can find that are mud grip in size 13. If i could i never would do the conversion.

(guess there was more than one question sry)

Thanks

Kelly O.

Ok one more question and i will leave all of yall alone. If i was to go ahead and do the 6 lug conversion and put 15" wheels on my 1981 Gen1 Brat, what would be the biggest tire i could put on there without it rubbing too bad? I know its probably a low profile tire but whats the biggest without any kind of lift. I would just like to know bc i dont want to start buying tires just to see if they will rub or not. Is it even be worth converting to 6 lug if i dont lift it? There are no tires that i can find that are mud grip in size 13. If i could i never would do the conversion.

(guess there was more than one question sry)

Thanks

Kelly O.

I have 14 pugs on my 80 brat the issue is in the rear up front the torsionbar sticks out that will be your tire issue I think my tires are 145/75-14 and they rub the bar