Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Fuel pump for 91 Loyale NA. Alternatives?

Well, check the repair manual or search here to find the fuel pressure needed. Yours should be SPFI, so around 40-50 psi? I can't remember. Then just find a universal electric fuel pump to put in it's place that puts out the same.

Like this one for Fords, in the 80's and early 90's ford used these for both in tank and inline(on the frame). They put out more volume and pressure than the stock Subaru pumps, so you may have to install an extra fuel pressure regulator if the stock one can't handle it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1985-MERCURY-CAPRI-MARQUIS-COUGAR-5-0-V8-FUEL-PUMP-NIB_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a1Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem280297084050QQitemZ280297084050QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I put one of these on a GL-10 turbo, and it worked out great. You just have to make sure you get on with the brass hose barbs on each end, and not on that has the filter sock on it(in tank installation).

Here's the old post with part numbers.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=40400

I have been told that a 80s-90s Ford F-150 fuel pump will work but I just can not bring my self to put a Ford part on my far superior machine. Worth a look though as there are a hundred Fords for every one Subaru in the scrap yards.

Well, just keep in mind that neither Ford or Subaru make the replacement fuel pumps, or the original in some cases.

Could somebody provide a part number for Ford's fuel pump?

I have the same problem with my Loyale's. Hit it with a hammer handle and it works now but who know how long it will last. So I want to be ready...

Thanks in advance,

Sam

Look at the link in my first post in this thread.

I got one for a '90 Ford Grand Squire wagon on ebay for about $30 and used it in the '86 wagon that I EJ-swapped last summer. worked great!

did you have a carb'ed model?

i was planning on feeding the ej with the spfi pump i already retrofitted into my hatch and i've been wondering if it'll work well.

Edited by mountaingoatgruff