Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Converting 3.54 SVX lsd to 3.9 or 4.11?

Gloyale

Can anyone tell me how easy it is to convert the SVX diff for use in a first gen Legacy?

I know the ring gear needs swapped, but what about the axle stubs? how feasible is it to put the SVX LSD chunk into the legacy housing? use the Legacy Stubs?

Or would we have to make some hybrid SVX axles?

i think the rear knuckles are different, if you're talking about just pressing out the hubs and swapping them the problem is finding some bearings that will work with the hub ID and the knuckle OD and width.

as well as the length of the SVX axels, they are longer then a standard legacy/impreza so you will have to figure that out as well.

The ends of the svx axle is totally different. It's skinny, then big.

Okay, what about cutting the ends off a set off SVX axles and having them machined into splined stubs like old gen style?

Probably not correctly hardened and/or hardened. Well, crap.

so you want to spend more money and time trying to make a VLSD work on your car when you can but one from a turbo legacy or a RX, swap ring gears in 10 minutes and install it into your car?

don't know why you want to waste that much time/money but whatever.

For all the talk of how easy those diffs are to find, I've actually only ever seen a few for sale, and they are ussually expensive, or worn out, or both.

I happened to get the opportunity to trade some wheels for a couple of SVX diffs. That is the only reason I am thinking about this conversion.

And IIMO, it takes more than *10 minutes* to swap ring gears and install in the car, LOL

so you want to spend more money and time trying to make a VLSD work on your car when you can but one from a turbo legacy or a RX, swap ring gears in 10 minutes and install it into your car?

don't know why you want to waste that much time/money but whatever.

worst post ever.

since RX and tleg diffs are so easy to find and a dime a dozen, why don't you just mail me a few.

also, I've done a couple of them, takes more than 10 minutes. even with the right tools.

I, too, will be trying this in the spring. since my XT6 is a 3.7, I have to find a donor that's that or taller, which means SVX is the only EJ LSD that will work. I also know a guy parting out an SVX and will be trading my wiring labor for the diff and a few other parts. I've got an extra set of XT6 axles, and the SVX axles. I'm thinking there might be a set of rockford conversion races involved, but we'll see.

im not saying that they are dime a dozen, i have 2 right now and im keeping them, also i was just saying a 10 minute job, maybe an hour but whatever.

anyways im just saying its alot easier/cheaper to convert the RX or VLSD to work then try to get a SUX oh i mean SVX rear assembly and try to make something work. more work then needed.

worst post ever.

since RX and tleg diffs are so easy to find and a dime a dozen, why don't you just mail me a few.

also, I've done a couple of them, takes more than 10 minutes. even with the right tools.

I, too, will be trying this in the spring. since my XT6 is a 3.7, I have to find a donor that's that or taller, which means SVX is the only EJ LSD that will work. I also know a guy parting out an SVX and will be trading my wiring labor for the diff and a few other parts. I've got an extra set of XT6 axles, and the SVX axles. I'm thinking there might be a set of rockford conversion races involved, but we'll see.

im not saying that they are dime a dozen, i have 2 right now and im keeping them, also i was just saying a 10 minute job, maybe an hour but whatever.

anyways im just saying its alot easier/cheaper to convert the RX or VLSD to work then try to get a SUX oh i mean SVX rear assembly and try to make something work. more work then needed.

AFAIK, an SVX diff carrier is identical to a t-leg VLSD. EXCEPT it's smaller to accommodate the taller gear ratio.

the local yard here in Duluth has 3 SVXs, and 2 t-legs. all 3 SVXs have the rear diff, neither of the tlegs do.

having not compared them, I'm not sure. BUT, having seen both, there's a possibility that tleg stubs might work with an SVX carrier, as they look to be very similar splines.

So you used the XT center race, and the SVX balls and cage? is that correct? sounds too easy.

How has this setup held up to stress?

Cannot remember if I used the XT6 cage or not.

I thought it was too easy as well... Hasn't had any problems in past year (almost a year) it has been done. Worked out well. If you need the SVX inner CV cups let me know

Tom