Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea to ej coupe project

ok so picked up the coupe from the ex's house last night one of the only ea autos that works really well. anyways took some pics gonna be pullen everything out of it engine,tranny,spfi harness. and i will be replacing it with a 2.2 mpfi mated to a turbo 3.7 5speed S/R 4wd tranny the car is currently fwd so i will have to put the subframe and stuff in the rear but being unimployed i will have the time to put it together. here is the sexy beast. im gonna take pics of everything as i go its not gonna be a fast project due to snow but a good one it will be :)

S5030010.jpg

S5030011.jpg

S5030012.jpg

S5030013.jpg

S5030015.jpg

and the engine in question is comeing from this 1990 legacy was awd auto i sold it a few months ago kid put a hood scoop painted it and used it for rally untel the tranny lost 4th and the clutch packs went out so its a 2wd POS the engine has been rebuilt so i got it back in trade and am using it :) it dosent suprize me that the tranny went as it has over 400,000 on the clock

S5030014.jpg

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah its an 88 DL, I almost bought that car, if I had had the cash I wouldve. It is really clean and straight and will make an awesome EJ swap project. Should be a pretty quick little ride when its done.

Oh Rob, if you are interested I will trade you some GL headlights and corner lights for that DL setup, I still need a set of those corner lamps for the Turd wagon, one got broke somewhere between the time I sold it ans when I got it back :-\

-Bill

got my fog lights mounted i used the idea to put them where the blinkers where like this but i have a strange attraction to large round lights rally style.

i used a small peice of aluminum plate on the backside of the bumper then the lights came wiht there own spacers so i dont have to worrie about them pulling through

S5030052-2.jpgwhat do you think be honest.

Edited by subaruguru

im doing just that im gonna rewire my blinkers to the marker lights up top better visualy than being stuck up under the bumper i think. and i dont plan on rally racing with this its purely a road car it wont even have low range. i just hate not being able to see the road on those foggy mornings oh they have running stone guards too. thanks for the input guys

Edited by subaruguru

im doing just that im gonna rewire my blinkers to the marker lights up top better visualy than being stuck up under the bumper i think. and i dont plan on rally racing with this its purely a road car it wont even have low range. i just hate not being able to see the road on those foggy mornings oh they have running stone guards too. thanks for the input guys

Sounds good.

Make sure you get some new bulb sockets for those corner markers if they are to be your turns (I made my corner markers additional blinkers) those tiny sockets get corroded and stop working if you fart crooked

went and got my theas the other day

oh yea 5 speed turbo 4x4 tranny

S5030062.jpg

oh yeah and the diff that gose to it :)

S5030064.jpg

go ahead take in all that3.7 goodness

went back out and started to tag and remove the harness (this is the spfi harness) got the front out here it is now im off to start tagging and removing the under dash partS5030065.jpg

ok so got it out a few min ago here is what it looked like

S5030066.jpg

and after about 20 min S5030067.jpg now im looking at the digramms i have from the spfi conversion manual so i know what to cut so i can get just the headlights,tailights and such snd still have the harness in working order so someone could use it for a conversion.

Edited by subaruguru

got this from scott it was a ruff cast so i had to do some buffing then painted it black and used some liquid plastic that stuff they use on gym floors looks sweet right? so someone might notice it and if they are on the board be like huh its not lifted so it must have an... and about that time vroooom im gone :)S5030078.jpg

Edited by subaruguru

Guru, look in the USRM for the 5-lug conversion list. You can use EJ parts and I highly recommend it but you'll have to find someone to align it to the proper specs for it to be of use for you. I setup my alignment, totally custom for an EA coupe with EJ suspension parts and it handles like my buddy's '05 STi on Tein Flex's

update ok so thursday and friday i pulled the ej harness YIKES:eek:this is what i had friday night

S5030110.jpg

then went to jerrys (bratsrus1) and we started to strip the tape and loom

Jerry on the left me on the right

S5030116.jpg

after that with jerrys help i started removing junk (auto trans ECU,blinkers,headlights,tail lights, ECT.)

S5030118.jpg

what whas removed atleast i wont be low on wire anytime soon.

S5030119.jpg

and viola a closed loop ej harness i was worried but the more wire i removed the lighter it got on my nervs so if you have a little help you can get it done in 2 days about 12 hours

S5030121.jpg

:) YAY now i can start to put it together

well due to the cold weather and now having a chest cold :mad: i have just been working on little things my car is a DL so it dosent have the oil pressure,volt guage or tach sooo i did this and intalled a tach i like it next i am gonna find a place for the air guage. oh the switches are for the fans and the foggsS5030187.jpg

S5030186.jpg

oh and theas are my new horns

S5030139.jpg