Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi all,

I have small oil drips coming from the right hand (passenger side) engine and make the timing belt cover a little wet. However, I'm not entirely sure where it comes from. It looks like it's leaking between the RH timing belt cover and the engine. I am going to do my timing belt within the next couple month (when I get my $$ save up) so I'm debating should I shoot for that problem. If I do, I am wondering if it's the cam seal.

Any idea would be appreciate

Vincent

P.S. it's a 1998 Imp OBS 5MT with 182540 mi on the Eng.

chances are its your P/S cam seal....if your going to be doing the timing belt soon...it takes all of about an extra 15 minutes when your in there to remove the cam sproket and pull the seal out and replace....Or you could always go the other route and clean off the entire underside of the engine and give it a few days, hop back under there and see if its still coming from the same spot....the only other thing i can think of in that location is like the corner of the valve cover gasket..but my guess would def. be a cam seal...and if your going to be replacing one than i would do the other side also,and the crank seal, and the timing belt idler pulleys, and possibly the t-belt tensioner....do a search on this forum...there are tons of threads here about this......also take a look here... http://endwrench.com/images/pdfs/StepEWAug07.pdf

Sweet that's comforting, or not.

I am going to try do the timing belt myself with a friend of mine. I'm new in those things but my friend has more experience though never change a timing belt before. I've been reading tons of post of how to change timing belt and also got an Alldata account so I might just going to give it a try. So here are a few of my questions

1. How hard would that be to do the cam seal?

2. Do I need to take off the timing belt cover #2 (the back one)?

3. Do I need any special tools?

4. Anything I REALLY need to pay attention at?

Thank alot!

Vincent

Sweet that's comforting, or not.

I am going to try do the timing belt myself with a friend of mine. I'm new in those things but my friend has more experience though never change a timing belt before. I've been reading tons of post of how to change timing belt and also got an Alldata account so I might just going to give it a try. So here are a few of my questions

1. How hard would that be to do the cam seal?

2. Do I need to take off the timing belt cover #2 (the back one)?

3. Do I need any special tools?

4. Anything I REALLY need to pay attention at?

Thank alot!

Vincent

Go to www.endwrench.com and go to the archives, engine section. Look at the timing belts and read to see what you have to do. The seals are easy, once you get to them. You also need to do the water pump, idler tensioner reseal the oil pump and the main seal. It sounds scary but do all that and you dont have to touch them again, unless the car makes it to 287,000 miles :)

Thank you for all your responses.

I think I have a basic idea on how to change timing belt part. On the other hand, I don't have much clue on how to replace the seal.

I heard it is a PITA job.

Anyways, seems like I need to get the camshaft sprocket holder (499207100) from http://subaru.spx.com/ or http://www.cobbtuning.com/products/?id=3555&rsku=0 which one is better?

How do I get the old seal out and put the new one in?

Thanks

Vincent

Edited by vincentmoy