Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm about to give up!!

Ok so I have scoured the archives for months trying all kinds of different things to fix this problem! Here is the issue: After the car has warmed up (91 Loyale) I get this horrible surging and hesitation and the occasional backfire... I checked the ecu codes, was getting a 35, so I removed the solenoid and put a transistor in its place... all fine and dandy CEL is gone. Ok, well that didn't fix it. I've tried to locate a vacuum leak with no luck. Also, cleaned up the mass air flow sensor, no fix either. Checked the plugs, wires, and the timing... still nothing!! Man its killin me. I love this car and it has been such a fun reliable vehicle and I refuse to get rid of it!! The only thing I can say is that when its cold and I start it up in the morning it runs awesome... just like it used to, then as the engine warms up I start to run into all the issues mentioned above. Please, does anybody have any ideas whatsover... I'm really close to taking the car up to a well known subaru mechanic in Green Mtn Falls if I can't resolve this myself.

MY XT6 had a bad connector on the CTS ( the ER27 is the same as the EA82 just with 2 more cylinders) and had the same symptoms ..ran awesom cold...warmed up ..studdered and stalled etc. I put a new connector on and it helped a great deal.. Also a friend had similar with an EJ22 ..put a new CTS ..purrs like a kitten now.

God Luck!

MY XT6 had a bad connector on the CTS ( the ER27 is the same as the EA82 just with 2 more cylinders) and had the same symptoms ..ran awesom cold...warmed up ..studdered and stalled etc. I put a new connector on and it helped a great deal.. Also a friend had similar with an EJ22 ..put a new CTS ..purrs like a kitten now.

God Luck!

Ok, cleaning the connectors didn't seem to do the trick... got bummed out cause I warmed up the engine and it was running great, took it for a spin and it started up again.

would say its somin to do with the mixture, CTS sounds quite convincing, mine does the same atm, but thats cause of the carb setup, start it up from cold, runs real nice, warms up, mixture changes density with the heat and runs lumpy, doesnt help that it keeps fouling the plugs as well GRRRRRR lol