Ultimate Subaru Message Board

86 Brat Advice

Hi everyone, Im new to the forum.

Im looking at a 1986 Subaru Brat, I checked it out yesterday and it runs good, buuut it needs front axles (dry and grinding) and wheel bearings all around. CIMG0710.jpg

CIMG0709.jpg

The guy is asking 1200 for it in its current state, i dont want to rag on his ideals but im not crazy....My question is how much would be reasonable to pay for it? my thoughts were about 500 bout 800 all total after parts..., it has a few rust spots in the bed and the body is straight, the interior isnt bad tranny is tight....it needs a tune up and some tlc....

If it was a wagon, yes, $500 or less. But... it's a brat, so multiply that by three and you'll get a more typical going price. :rolleyes:

....man i had a feeling you were gonna say that, im just gonna use it for delivering papers so maybe i need to seek a diff vehicle?

Look for a wagon or hatch in that price range.

You'll get something decent.

Brat's are the high end stuff.

For a brat that's in need of some mechanical repair and few rust spots,

you're lucky to find one under 2k.

And you my friend, are lucky. :slobber:

If you want a collectors rig, the brat is one to purchase.

Run around rig, get a wagon, sedan or hatch.

Just as much fun, but cheaper on the insurance and a bit more sensible.

A hatch is the most like the brat in size and driving experience.

Twitch

if you are not going to be an enthusiast, go get something else.all we need is another "oh this is so cool " car freak that wants to not take care of our beloved rarities.

but if you are not then i would say get over the fact it needs axles and if it is rust free,BUY THE DAMN THING

as long as you are willing to take on the responsibility of the standards.this IS the subaru bug,if not see ya.:grin:cheers, brain

if you are not going to be an enthusiast, go get something else.all we need is another "oh this is so cool " car freak that wants to not take care of our beloved rarities.

but if you are not then i would say get over the fact it needs axles and if it is rust free,BUY THE DAMN THING

as long as you are willing to take on the responsibility of the standards.this IS the subaru bug,if not see ya.:grin:cheers, brain

welll it is cool....but i have respect for my cars, and i have every intention on taking care of it...sounds like i need to suck it up and grab it...

You failed to mention the fly-eye air filter, jeep cherokee grille,

en fuego walmart seat cover, and jury rigged shifter. :rolleyes:

I'd personally get a wagon if i were to use it for paper delivery.

More room, plus your ************ wont blow around or get wet.