Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Which new model would you buy? I'm a Realtor and I need some inexpensive transportation -- but maybe on the new side of the block. You can see my post on the 96 Legacy -- great car 220K + miles still looks good needs some TLC

Are these new ones as good as our old 96???

Subara has a few specials on lease etc. right now too -- Impreza, Legacy, Outback etc....

Hate to be milage restricted though.

:confused:

My 08 Impreza 5 door has more back seat leg room then my 95 Legacy wagon. IMO its very comfortable and a nice driver..Mine has been absolutely trouble free for the past year and 32K miles. It isnt uncommon for me to get 32-34 mpg with it either ( 5 spd). I drove the car from CT to FL and back without any fatigue issues or back pain...and I was running 14+ hours before stopping.

But thats just my opinion..I love my Impreza ..everything about it..fits me like a glove and have no regrets what-so-ever

I really liked the two tone 2007 Impreza's... two coworkers have them. Good looking, nice to drive -- not as large as the Outbacks, but those are pretty nice too (four more co-workers have 2006 or 2007 Outbacks). In 2008 they changed the styling of all of them, and IMO, they got quite ugly. So... I wouldn't buy any of the brand new ones. And, in general, it's a much better economic decision to buy a year or two old car instead of a brand new one -- let someone else take that big first 6 months of depreciation hit.

However... subaru's (at least in Colorado) don't depreciate very rapidly, so you are almost better off getting a brand new one. Subaru's refuse to depreciate very fast here :rolleyes:

get something with the H6 motor.

definitely test drive them. and consider the fact that being new you'll probably own this thing for a few years. think ahead and make sure it fits not just now, but later.

we ditched our impreza OBS (the hatch back style) for a newer OBW for space because we travel to visit family often. our child seat in the back of the impreza doesn't give enough room for me to sit back comfortably on long trips and the wagon provides more capacity for traveling with a kid.

the OBW's sit much higher too, some folks love that. more visibility, less down and up motion getting in and out...etc. i personally like sitting closer to the ground, but other folks i know like being up higher.

the impreza platform is great, handles fantastic.

that's why test driving is key. see what fits you, like bucky said.

Alright man, lets have it.
nothing substantial, just passing along thoughts. i was looking for a wagon and seeing heavily positive reviews for the H6, having a distaste for the EJ25, so we got an OBW with the H6.

No gas mileage pluses to it though, *takes* high octane, and it's not very easy to get in manual. There's a thread about H6 gas mileages, i haven't kept really good track of mine yet in the H6.

The old XT6 can get good gas mileage...for a 6 cylinder 4WD car anyway.

IMO the 2.5 if maintained can be a very dependable motor..I happen to know many that have never had issues.And if not driven bad can get extremely good gas mileage.. Heck my XT6 could only do 29 on a good day.

The PZEVs are nice too..really wished it would have been available on my Impreza.

In 2005 Subaru supposedly fixed the dreaded 2.5 head gasket problem. I have heard of a couple cases...like maybe 2.... of failure. But you will also hear reports of the 2008/2009 WRX engine failures also..but those seem to be coming from people who abused them.

Like mentioned..test drive and get what fits you...My 2008 Impreza is not only an eye catcher car..but fits me like a glove..light, quick ..and more then enough room..MUCH bigger then previous years. I let my friend drive it ( OK he steals the keys all the time ;) njdrsubaru) and he is 6'1" and there is still a ton of leg room in the back seat.

The New Forester is just an amazing creature..the reviews have been nothing but favorable

The key is taking care of it..we all know that..

I missed that you were in the Houston area before... honestly, you don't need the AWD of subaru there, so there are alot of other options that get better gas mileage. I'd consider the Prius, or if you want a more powerful car, a diesel jetta. Though... not sure what the impression of those cars is down there. Here, driving one of those will get you more sales, but down there, it could be a turnoff for potential clients. When you are in sales, more of it than we probably want to admit is in first impressions, including whether the car you drive matches what they expect someone in your position to drive.

Depending on the client I can use differect rides. My wife has a Murano, I have a Kawi KLR 650 and the 96 Legacy. I've shown up on my KLR and the client is riding his Harley or whatever...

I like the Subarus though -- I could do a Honda, Toyota or whatever.

Just pondering all of this...

asking for opinions?... my $.02

new forester, NOT the tribeca

more internal room (than 08 and earlier), plenty of power, comfortable, stylish (agreed new IMPS got the shaft on styling), etc. etc.

BEST for CO realtors, a bit iffy for Houston (I have a friend with a turbo 06 FOR, deffintely not many subys in TX)...

goes w/o saying new (as in traded in 09 FOR) buying a zero miles car off the lot is NOT the best plan, get into one AFTER someone else took the depreciation hit. I'd advice against a lease, but i think the lease was designed for folks in your line of work.

Good luck narrowing the ideas and Happy shopping :)

In terms of new vs. used, depreciation curves look about the same year-to-year for the first 3 to 5 years (make- and model-dependent, of course), so you're not likely to save very much by going used unless you get 3-5 years out.

Also, and I'm likely to be burned as a heretic for this: Following book maintenance and using overall averages for repairs, duration of ownership, etc., Subarus are a bit on the expensive side for total cost of ownership. If it's true lowest $/mile you're after and don't want or need a Subaru in particular, you're better off looking elsewhwere.

Having said all that, the brand new Subies look like good machines to me. I drive an '05 Baja, and it's the bomb! For your line of work I've have chosen the naturally-aspirated model for mpg reasons, but then again the turbo (EJ-255) engine doesn't have any head gasket issues whether they'd fixed them by '05 or not. I beat EPA mpg estimates in mine, but I can't touch the N/A mpg.

Good luck! and be sure you drive whatever you're interested in.