Ultimate Subaru Message Board

79 brat dead, need help quickly.

A few minutes ago I was taking the brat for a quick test drive, I turned to go up a hill and heard a small 'clunk' and the engine died. I attempted to restart it and it would turn over, but would not start. I managed to get it turned around and headed downhill and popped the clutch and it started and I put it into nutral, I had to keep pumping the gas to keep it going but it was very weak, as I got to the end of the hill and it stopped rolling it died.

It is parked in a 2minute zone and I really need to know what broke so I can get it out without getting towed.

All I did was put it in second and give it gas, I do know I'm getting fuel to the float, air isn't an issue and I think I'm getting fire because it started when I popped the clutch, but I don't know how much.

I checked all my plug wires and cap and rotor, all I can think of is a stripped dizzy, but then why would it start when I popped the clutch?

shaft bushing play

ignition module

sometimes they just go bad

yep to get rescued by good distributor.

I think you should get a known good distributor, at least if the shaft wobbles, it won't creat spark to the plugs correctly, weak at best when the shaft or shaft bushings are toasted.

When you Heard that...

...and heard a small 'clunk' and the engine died. ...

...and then the Engine Died, makes me Think that Maybe it has a Loosen Valve! ... :eek: ... Or Something that Just got Loose enough to Stop the Engine from Working.

I Suggest to Check that Carefully and Don`t try to Start your Engine Downhill Again...

Good Luck!

Got it up again, the issue was a loose autochoke wire that shorted out a fuse I couldn't see last night killing the ignition. messing with my dizzy I put it in and was off a tooth, making it ping like crazy. Sounded like a bent valve, but a quick tooth pick in #1 and found out the marks on my flywheel are off about 15 Degrees.

Ugly runs like a champ again. Thanks for all the advise and offers of help, but this time it was user error. A lesson I won't soon forget.