Ultimate Subaru Message Board

First Tranny swap...Done!! Pics with Lift!

Nice, looks good, need bigger tires now. I wouldn't even bother with the outback lift blocks. You get better clearance underneath without them and the driveline angles aren't awful without them. I would do the outback trailing arms, they center the rear wheels in the wheel wells.

We put the lift block on the back only..cause the rear has a tendency to look like its sagging..and we all know how bad saggy rears are :).

OH!! You Tom..are you joining us at the Barrens on the 28th? I have something for you.

We put the lift block on the back only..cause the rear has a tendency to look like its sagging..and we all know how bad saggy rears are :).

OH!! You Tom..are you joining us at the Barrens on the 28th? I have something for you.

It looks like I will be able to go. Do you know what time everyone is meeting yet?

It looks like I will be able to go. Do you know what time everyone is meeting yet?

I believe we are planning around 10 or 11... I am talking with neo right now in Aim and will ask. I know he mentioned wanting to stay out longer and maybe doing some nightime running .

Ceeci is back on her feet!! She is driving so beautifully..shifting gorgeous. And with he lift...OMG beautiful.

CeeciLift050.jpg

Heck yeah!!

The only problem with OB lifts on legacies, BIG wheel wells dictat spending more money to fill them in with taller tires :grin:

I too am a big fan of the OB strut swap lift!

But, I've been am getting info from other folks about swapping over more of the OB lift blocks, trailing arms, etc. if i go for lift springs (to help push up my heavy bumper and skid plate). I've been told without the OB lift blocks and other OB suspension parts, but JUST the strut lift, that the axles can't handle the added geometry of lift springs. Lift blocks may negate that though, so just OB struts and lift blocks would be fine.

ANYHOO, looks good, nice work, clean car!!

WOOp WOOp!!:banana:

I am shopping for bigger tires now..might have them in a week or 2 ..we will see. Need to get it registered and run it abit before having it emission tested because we reset the puter. Cant wait .. I want to drive her to work....I just put her sunroof deflector and have a few little things yet to do ..like rig up the Sat radio etc.

I too am a big fan of the OB strut swap lift!

But, I've been am getting info from other folks about swapping over more of the OB lift blocks, trailing arms, etc. if i go for lift springs (to help push up my heavy bumper and skid plate). I've been told without the OB lift blocks and other OB suspension parts, but JUST the strut lift, that the axles can't handle the added geometry of lift springs. Lift blocks may negate that though, so just OB struts and lift blocks would be fine.

Nah...... you can put the OB struts on and not worry about the blocks, or control and trailing arm mounts, You get more clearance.

(the control arm mounts, trailing arm mounts, and trans crossmember are spaced down 1-1/4 inch to match the main crossmember blocks)

Now If you were to then also add strut top blocks or run taller springs like King/Scorpion, you might be pushing it. Crossmember blocks would then be good to consider.

But again with stock springs you can put the OB struts right on.

I am shopping for bigger tires now..might have them in a week or 2 ..we will see.

You should run a couple tanks of gas on stock tires and get an average mileage calculation (I assume you have a good handle on stock tires and suspension milage) there before you do bigger tires. its good to have a reference and also some calculations on whatever size tire you get so you can do the conversion and know how far off your speedo and odo get with larger tires... I'm sitting around 5% off, i.e. my odo is under milage and my speedo is slower than actual ground speed on BFG 27.5x8" 14s.

Its good info to have about your rig. Also if you consider intake or exhaust modifications, its good to know what base stock is...

Have fun and looking forward to new meats! :headbang:

Nah...... you can put the OB struts on and not worry about the blocks, or control and trailing arm mounts, You get more clearance.

Yeah agreed. That's where I am now. OB struts and springs on legacy subframe stuff.

Now If you were to then also add strut top blocks or run taller springs like King/Scorpion, you might be pushing it. Crossmember blocks would then be good to consider.

Yeah, that's what I'm considering, taller springs with the stock OB strut swap.

So with the taller springs I think i want the other subframe stuff too. This is good. You're reaffirming what I think I've consolidated from other peeps here.

Now to just get all those little parts together if I go the raised spring route. Also good to see if anyone State-side has a set rather than dealing direct with scorpion...

I am used to running around with njdrsubarus twin lego to mine so I am aware of what the bigger tires etc does to the car...I also planned on running with my GPS for a few.

Sorry I am not into the intake and exhaust mods not worth the money IMO. This is just a off road car that will be used alittle to go to work to keep mileage off my 08 Impreza ( 34K miles in a year and a half)

the bigger tires does not make that much of a difference, i have a gps with me constantly and it is tops 3mph difference and i can still get 26mpg... now during spring and early summer i get even better gas mileage, last year when i first swaped my motor i was getting close to 28.... again it is not a big deal if the odometer is about 3mph off, it also only occurs above 45mph, under 45mph is the same of what the gps is showing... now i wonder if a speed sensor from an outback should take care of that... hmmm harrys run!!!

now i wonder if a speed sensor from an outback should take care of that... hmmm harrys run!!!

not the speed sensor, it's dumb, the TCU. the speed sensor rotates with the wheels the TCU does the math. neither has to consider the final drive ratio since the sensor is after the final drive.

borrow a tcu from an outback.

not the speed sensor, it's dumb, the TCU. the speed sensor rotates with the wheels the TCU does the math. neither has to consider the final drive ratio since the sensor is after the final drive.

borrow a tcu from an outback.

Really?

I thought for sure the final drive gearing played a big part in the speedo. :confused:

When I went with taller tires my speedo and odo went off (with OBs as 4.11 and running taller tires than my stock 3.90 and 185x70x14s)...

There was a tire size calculator on BFG (tires) website (many others available on the net) that tell you gearing ratios and how RPMs and speed changed withh tire size. I thought I could regain my lost power from taller tires by changing final drive tranny gearing, which would also recompensate my speedo.

So I too could get an OB TCU to recorrect my speedo and odo?

That'd be nice :)

(but tranny gearing, would still give better power and performance by recompensating for tires right?)

OOPS, sorry. Not hijacking, really... :grin:

Nice work on the tranny swap! Car looks good with the strut lift!

Good call on not modifying the exhaust and intake.

;)

Got her registered and legal today..and took her for a short run...down the my tire/ alignment guys...She drove sooooo smooth and nice..especially after the alignment. I wanted to do that right away because she has new pirellis on her that I plan on selling once I get the bigger tires ( which I picked out ) and I want to keep them as nice as possible for the future possible owner ( I have a few people interested already)

But I found a tranny fluid leak that will be addressed this weekend..until then she is grounded ..except to go get emmission tested in a day or two so I can get her hard plates. The leak is from the filler tube ..there is a broken bolt ..so its no big deal to fix it.

(Praying I haven't jinxed it) It's nice to see a project going so smoothly for you. You seem to run into some pretty bad luck sometimes but you're finally getting what you've worked so hard for! Great to hear it's such a smooth runner too! I've been very happy with my EJ18 powered Impreza.

Got her registered and legal today..and took her for a short run...down the my tire/ alignment guys...She drove sooooo smooth and nice..especially after the alignment. I wanted to do that right away because she has new pirellis on her that I plan on selling once I get the bigger tires ( which I picked out ) and I want to keep them as nice as possible for the future possible owner ( I have a few people interested already)

But I found a tranny fluid leak that will be addressed this weekend..until then she is grounded ..except to go get emmission tested in a day or two so I can get her hard plates. The leak is from the filler tube ..there is a broken bolt ..so its no big deal to fix it.

probably the O ring is mangled as well for the lower filler tube, since the bolt is broke allowing slop and movement in the filler tube base where it mounts.. its a generic oring. like 40 cents at hardware store.

probably the O ring is mangled as well for the lower filler tube, since the bolt is broke allowing slop and movement in the filler tube base where it mounts.. its a generic oring. like 40 cents at hardware store.

Its just a broken bolt on the filler tube ..that is all ..we were aware that it might be a problem when we did the job

• 2 years later...

doing my [first] tranny swap now/... I will use the reversed jack for lifting the tranny. Good tip!

Question! Did you mess with the rear end at all? I'm wondering about inner CV joints and how they pull out of the rear diff on 95 era legacies... I have a diff upgrade which requires pulluing the CVs from the diff, and I do not think mine are like I want them to be....with a pin, like older subies are.

cheers,

-mark-

doing my [first] tranny swap now/... I will use the reversed jack for lifting the tranny. Good tip!

Question! Did you mess with the rear end at all? I'm wondering about inner CV joints and how they pull out of the rear diff on 95 era legacies... I have a diff upgrade which requires pulluing the CVs from the diff, and I do not think mine are like I want them to be....with a pin, like older subies are.

cheers,

-mark-

95 legacy is male rear axles, no pin.

95 legacy is male rear axles, no pin.

confirmed. Thanks.

BUT, I'm getting info I could use gen 1 legacy rear axles (apparently female inner cup) to marry my hub to this LSD from an RX.

Thanks and sorry for the diversion from this thread and thanks for the platform for my question.

Is there any update or reporting from this auto tranny swap/ OB strut lifted wagon?