Ultimate Subaru Message Board

First Tranny swap...Done!! Pics with Lift!

US!!! :grin: Geesh.. njdrsubaru and me are such a pair of goof offs ..yet yesterday we decided to tackle my 95 Legacys new tranny swap. Our original plan was to get the old tranny removed yesterday...then put the new one in next weekend...well things didnt quite go as planned.

But by 12:30 we had the old tranny out and that was after starting alittle late cause we had the need for coxinha and cheese bread ( brazilian food). After a round of loud cheers ( I said we are good offs and this was our first attempt at this job)we figured..lets go ahead and put the new one in. Well that didnt quite go as easy as the old one came out..but once it was in things started to go together quick. Anyway it isnt quite done..we will finish it next week..hang the exhaust ..torque converter bolts and put the starter on which we will do after running to Harrys U Pull It for a suspension part I need for my lift. So it looks like my Legacy will be road worthy a couple weeks ahead of schedule. Then I can go back to working on my 83 coupe.

I have some pics ( cause what would a thread be without pics). 2 are what we found in the front diff ..one is really kinda scarey.

This is the good with chunks coming off the drain plug:

Retardsdointranny004.jpg

And here are chunks of something...Definately that diff would not have lasted very long:

Retardsdointranny012.jpg

I spent the money and got a good low profile high jack...3 1/2 ton...what a good investment!! I have a small floor jack but using blocks and stuff was always a pain.

More pics of our goofiness can be found HERE http://s50.photobucket.com/albums/f335/Bucky92/Retards%20doin%20Tranny/

I am sure Neo will add more to this once he gets online ( or wakes up hehehehe we were both so exhausted yesterday)

Edited by Bucky92

Thanks! She should be back on all 4 wheel next weekend..with lift. Thanks to Neo I am getting my love for mechanics back and am enjoying it again. On top of that I am learning ton of stuff and am getting some confidence back.

If you could figure out how to lock the center diff that would be awesome. Having an auto gives you the ability to crawl up hills very well.

there is a way to do it, i know how, but its very dangerous, you will have to install a relay to go off whenever u have the car off, if you leave it on it will toast your trans... i wanted to do it to Subarina but i gave up the idea.... :-\ its a 50/50 lockup

GOOD FUN!!

What are you swapping the tranny for? Are you going MT to AT, visa-versa, or other fun tranny swapping?

I too may be doing tranny pulling in the future, and also as a non-experienced tranny puller, wouldn't mind tips and triks from your experience. :)

And your lift-to-be? Are you doing the fun OB strut swap??

Yay for more new gen lifted rigs!

GOOD FUN!!

What are you swapping the tranny for? Are you going MT to AT, visa-versa, or other fun tranny swapping?

I too may be doing tranny pulling in the future, and also as a non-experienced tranny puller, wouldn't mind tips and triks from your experience. :)

And your lift-to-be? Are you doing the fun OB strut swap??

Yay for more new gen lifted rigs!

it was an AT for AT, the original ATs front diff is was shot....

well as far as tips and triks... 3.5 ton plus high lift jack with a low profile... high floor stands on top of patio bricks, the car needs to be at least 24" off the ground, be careful once u separate the tranny from the engine, it will plunge down risk of knocking the floor stand from under the car.... getting the trans up is beotch... jack backwards, jack handle on the driveshaft tunnel and at least 3 people helping ya to line up the studs, again watch out with the balance of the new tranny on the jack... oh also u will have to lift the motor through the front so it tilts backwards to make the line up a bit easier... yes we are going with OB struts and springs and plans for king springs and lift kit in the future

My idea was to turn the jack backwards ..cause the tranny wants to tip heavy side down if its the other way ..and pulling down on the tail shaft isnt the smartest thing to do.

and yes..for now its getting the Outback struts..later we are going to make our own blocks and lift kit for them.

And there isnt a picture of the cheering high fives and hugs when the old tranny came out

We spent all day at the U pull It ..got back home around 6:30 pm ( day started at 5:30 am) ate something...buttoned up the tranny got the lift on the front of the car and will be starting her up in a few....going to finish the rear lift in the morning...and I will get pics..but right now we are just so exhausted. Its 11 pm and we wont be done for about another half hour to an hour.

BTW Made out like bandits at the JY

Nice, looks good, need bigger tires now. I wouldn't even bother with the outback lift blocks. You get better clearance underneath without them and the driveline angles aren't awful without them. I would do the outback trailing arms, they center the rear wheels in the wheel wells.