Ultimate Subaru Message Board

More power for my 84 without an engine swap?

soothedlife

I just bought a 1984 GL wagon and am completely new to this car, in fact I don't even have it in my possession. I believe it is a 1.6 and was wondering if there was anything I could do short of an engine swap, such as a turbo, that might get me a little more power. Any help would be greatly apreciated.

Edited by soothedlife

Correct me if im wrong fellow board members but it is impossible to get these ea71-81-82 motors over 120 hp. They simply arent designed for it. They are desined for economy. An EJ sway (though pain in the butt) puts you in a whole other ball game. I believe you start out at 150hp for the standard 2.2 and 190hp for the turbo version. In the long run you will be happier with the swap. Otherwise spend more doing a turbo conversion, and changing out the conversions vs spend half picking up a used 2.2 Just my opinion and maybe GD will agree with me.

Agreed. EJ is the way to go. One other note - prolly want to go to full time 4wd if you go this route. If not, you will have to learn very fine throttle control - the amount of torque that is there in the ej motors is mind boggling compared to the ea-71. Plus you'll get awesome milage IF you keep your foot out of the throttle. :)

However, if an engine swap is out of the question: if it's an ea-71: go with a weber 32/36 dgev carby and 2" cat-bat exhaust. If it's an ea-81, do the spfi conversion with 2.25" cat back exhaust. That will give you the most power and fuel economy.

Edited by subynut
second thought

Thanks for your input. I'll go the Webber rout, I don't want any more electrical in the car. I really don't need to go much faster. The speed here in Phoenix seems to be 40 over the limit so a little over 65 would be nice, at least until I get back to Portland.

Correct me if im wrong fellow board members but it is impossible to get these ea71-81-82 motors over 120 hp.

Impossible is a real strong word. In fact RAM engines makes an EA81 that does 140 HP, and a superchaged version that makes 200 HP. You wouldn't like the price tag.

They simply arent designed for it. They are desined for economy. An EJ sway (though pain in the butt) puts you in a whole other ball game. I believe you start out at 150hp for the standard 2.2 and 190hp for the turbo version. In the long run you will be happier with the swap. Otherwise spend more doing a turbo conversion, and changing out the conversions vs spend half picking up a used 2.2 Just my opinion and maybe GD will agree with me.

Agreed - EJ swap is the way to go unless you need pushrod reliability to prevent using the parachute.

GD

Take off the emissions stuff and route it directly, its both cheap and effective, and since its an 84 you probably will not get a hard time from an inspection place. Also if you can take off the muffler hollow it out and put it back on, new plugs and wires would help too.

Take off the emissions stuff and route it directly, its both cheap and effective,

None of the emissions equipment is power related. If it's working incorrectly it may cause drivability issues but it will not increase the power any significant amount.

and since its an 84 you probably will not get a hard time from an inspection place. Also if you can take off the muffler hollow it out and put it back on, new plugs and wires would help too.

Hollowing out the cat is effective if it's clogged but the muffler you simply replace. I often remove the guts from the cat's because they break apart and rattle.

GD

Correct me if im wrong fellow board members but it is impossible to get these ea71-81-82 motors over 120 hp. They simply arent designed for it. ...

As GD Said, Sub4 and Other Companies got the EA81 to Push out More than 200 HP, but the Rally Version of the EA82 Came Stock at 190 HP!

As Seen in This Magazine Scans:

1-1.jpg?t=1237265757

4-43.jpg?t=1237265498

2-2.jpg?t=1237265161

3-3.jpg?t=1237265327

But That for Sure wasn`t intended for everyday Driving...

Kind Regards.

my buddy was saying if you get a delta cam an have some place grind it just right you be putting out like 170 ft lbs of torque and 160 horsepower, that with NGK plugs and wires witha 2wd drive distirbutor and blaster 2 coil weber carboratur so yeah its not imposible,sides nothing is really impossible, look obama is president... lolz jk jk

my buddy was saying if you get a delta cam an have some place grind it just right you be putting out like 170 ft lbs of torque and 160 horsepower,

Sorry but, I don't believe you until I see a dyno sheet. Too many "buddy" stories on the internet to take any seriously until proven.