Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Weird Cooling issue

Odd thing is happening with my '86 EA82 wagon. I replaced the water pump a couple of weeks ago, and while I doing the job I replaced the little bypass hose and also the thermostat. I got a NAPA T stat, I think it was 195 degree, whatever the factory one is. Now, this is kind of odd. I work graveyard, so when I drive to work at night, the temp gauge will get right up to the Hot mark..not quite into it, just before, and then the Tstat will open and she's down to midway point. In the morning when I leave to go home, it won't do it. Not much temperature change the last couple nights between midnight and eight. Seems to me that the Tstat probably is defective, but wondering if anyone else has ran into that. Also, I get a strange gurgling sound in the dash when I first start it up...air bubble in cooling system maybe? Heater is kind of hit and miss too...doesn't get super warm..even maxed out. I was reading on some other posts about flushing the heater core...my fear is that something like head gaskets are going out, but it runs nice and cool normally, except for that one time in the evenings. The overflow reservoir was nearly empty the other morning.

Any idears?

Thanks,

jesse

For the last 21 years I've always used aftermarket 160 or 180 degree thermostats in all my EA82's and NEVER had any cooling issues. Using 195 degree thermostats will slightly increase fuel mileage but they also put increased strain on the cooling system due to the increased pressure the extra heat creates. Since I also own Chevrolets and the thermostats are interchangeable with Subaru, I usually use Chevrolet thermostats. If a Chevrolet thermostat will flow enough to cool a 454 cubic inch engine, I'll flow enough to cool a little 1800 cc (110 cubic inches) engine.

Remove your thermostat, place it in a pan of boiling water on the stove. If it fully opens, it's not the thermostat.

Edited by Ginger48

Sounds like an air pocket. When an air pocket reaches the engine, it creates steam. The steam bubble grows and will cause overheating. The thermostat may be in contact with steam, or an air pocket and does not open. The air pocket may also be in contact with the temp sensor, and giving you a false reading in the morning. It is designed for liquid, not steam. Gurgling is not good. You will have to get the air pocket out by getting the bubble to move to a high point, or bleeding it off. It's a pain to do, but it needs to be done.

If heater is hit and miss, I suspect to start there. Try removing hoses or bleeding off trapped air from there. The bubble is trapped in a lower point than your radiator , and will need to be removed or moved to a high point.

If thats not it, IDK.

You might just have a leak.

Check the coolant level and look thoroughly. Even just a pin hole leak can make the engine run hot.

Re-check all your hose clamps. I had one come loose a couple of days after changing the water pump on my brat.

Green corrosion on the radiator is also a sure sign of a leak. Also look to see if the intake manifold gaskets are wet and swollen, seeping coolant.

Goodluck!

Ok so not to totally hijack jesse's thread but....

My 86 GL wagon goes through nearly a full gallon of coolant per week! My heater also decides to come and go, can't seem to find anywhere where I'm leaking coolant. Replaced the NAPA t-stat with a factory sub one. It doesn't seem to smoke anymore when it's full of coolant than when I have to fill it back up again, it just likes to make the temp gauge inside the cab ride the little white line that seperates the "H" from the rest of it.

The only other thing of merit that I can think of is that my overflow tank/coolant reservoir had all kinds of dirt and other crap in it. Can any of you guys help me out? I don't want my car to have eaten a head gasket.

I went thru this same situation(at least it sounds like it)..I did get a subi thermo just to be on the safe side..raised the car in the front, filled with coolant and kept topping it up as needed...once full, start the car and bring it up to operating temp...when the coolant is cool enough to open the cap, I just kept on filling as needed..will take about 2 hrs....if you still have the same problem occuring, then your heater core is plugged and most likely will have to be replaced or cut off from the system...you can do this by joining the two metal heater pipes with a single rubber hose Or perhaps you can first of all join the two pipes before doing anything else, then add coolant ..if all works out fine, then you know where the problem ls located

Ok so not to totally hijack jesse's thread but....

My 86 GL wagon goes through nearly a full gallon of coolant per week! My heater also decides to come and go, can't seem to find anywhere where I'm leaking coolant. Replaced the NAPA t-stat with a factory sub one. It doesn't seem to smoke anymore when it's full of coolant than when I have to fill it back up again, it just likes to make the temp gauge inside the cab ride the little white line that seperates the "H" from the rest of it.

The only other thing of merit that I can think of is that my overflow tank/coolant reservoir had all kinds of dirt and other crap in it. Can any of you guys help me out? I don't want my car to have eaten a head gasket.

original poster, bleed the air out and I believe you'll be in good shape. most oem style thermostats are just fine. all they do is restrict flow..

wentz.. your problem sounds a little more serious.. if your going through a gallon a week, thats something more than an air pocket. if your heater core was leaking you would notice it, same with any leak and a little investigation. just because it might be running at normal temp's doesnt rule out a headgasket. find your leak, could be internal

So am I correct in thinking that, until the problem is resolved, as long as I keep it full of coolant I should be ok and not damage anything?

It only takes one time out on the road, miles from nowhere when you neglected to check the level. It'll ruin your day. Best figure it out sooner rather than later. All of the cooling system components are pretty well affordable relative to a ruined engine.

Let us know what you find...best of luck to you

Get a Subaru T-stat, bleed air from system. If you didn't put in as much coolant as you drained out, you have air bubbles...

WENTZ912: you most likely have a blown head gasket OR a cracked head. Pull the exhaust down from the engine, apply pressure to cooling system, you may see coolant coming from the exhaust port in the head(s).

Edited by MtTech
grammer:)

Sorry I didn't respond on this stuff sooner, I've had a hell of a week. I will try to bleed her out this week, probably get some ramps or something and go for it that way. I suspect it;s and air pocket as well, just seems like a real bear to get out of there :)

Thanks again guys

Jesse