Ultimate Subaru Message Board

High Mileage On E81 Subies

I read with interest the high mileage of ej22 subies on another thread, one had 491k on it and one had 1.7 mil with two motors.

I have had 7 different subies and all except one has had over 200k on them. All but one is or was had an E81 motor. The best of them had 277k before it died and my current 84gl has 308k and still running strong.

I wrote to Subaru of America and sent them pics and they were kind enough to send me a Subie coffee mug and a hat. they also told me there have been several owners who had well over 600 k miles on their original Subaru motors.

so, what is the highest you have seen on any Subaru, especially on E81 motors but any would do. i like looking at the odometers at the Pick n Pull . Ive seen a lot over 300k and only one over 400k.

rsd

I read with interest the high mileage of ej22 subies on another thread, one had 491k on it and one had 1.7 mil with two motors.

I have had 7 different subies and all except one has had over 200k on them. All but one is or was had an E81 motor. The best of them had 277k before it died and my current 84gl has 308k and still running strong.

I wrote to Subaru of America and sent them pics and they were kind enough to send me a Subie coffee mug and a hat. they also told me there have been several owners who had well over 600 k miles on their original Subaru motors.

so, what is the highest you have seen on any Subaru, especially on E81 motors but any would do. i like looking at the odometers at the Pick n Pull . Ive seen a lot over 300k and only one over 400k.

rsd

lol...mines gonna take a while. it read 68,000 +/- miles right now. its a 1981 ea81 4wd wagon.

Saw an EA81 standard hatch (1980??) with over 600,000 on it when I was working at a grocery store in highschool (rusting to pieces) and 780,000 on an EA81 wagon from Alaska when I was working at an oil changing joint (good shape, still see it around actually).

Have no idea if either one of them was running the original running gear.

I saw an ea81 wagon at the junkyard once with an odometer reading in the 500k's. I was gunna take the dash just for the odo. reading. It may have been on the tenth engine for all I know. I only checked because I was curious as to why it was so rough.

Got about 316k on mine.

And judging from the rod knock on start up... I'd say it's the original engine. :lol:

Plus I'm only the 3rd owner and the guy before me had it a long time. He hated to see it go but needed driveway space.

Still runs strong! (other than the startup knock)

I stuck a "fresh" disty in it though. The old one was so sloppy the rotor was eating at the cap and it got to the point it barely ran.

Luckly I have an engine on the stand with about 150k on it waiting to go in.

• 3 weeks later...

Previous MY 4WD Wagon had 468,000 KM when retired still going strong as a daily driver doing a round trip of 150 miles to work six days a week

Replacement Brumby (BRAT) had 320,000 KM on Original odo,now reads just 215.000 on new 6 gauge Coupe style Dash (as found factory fitted to an Aussie spec 1984 MY auto sedan) complete with a perfect crashpad,what a find.

Both on original EA 81's with only normal service maintenance,Wagon did use a pint of Oil every 2 weeks though,acceptable for almost 2,000 mies of driving at highway speeds.

Ive seen a ea81wagon at pull a part, I spotted it and started making my way to it thinking I had found a nice low mile car, i mean wow this thing was so clean inside and out it almost looked like a new car, So I opened the hood and the motor was still so clean, so then I looked on the odom and it had 421,000. Ive also seen many Legacy in the 290,000 330,000 range... My Hatch is at 205,000 and it is still lays some good rubber and always starts first time

I wish I knew the mileage on my coupes new motor :(..the car has 236K from the last motor...but from the way the new one moves...:slobber::slobber: I would have to say its pretty low or at some point someone did something else to it besides the reseal that subaru360 did. That little sucker MOVES..I mean impressively too...even powers up a hill that my Legacy will dog on.