Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'd like to get 4-low working

In my Gen 2 Brat, 4-high works fine, but when I pull the lever up all the way and push on the gas, it feels like it's in neutral. I just sit there, and the engine revs. I find it hard to believe that the P.O. broke 4-low beyond repair, so I'm wondering if there are any common issues or easy fixes to attempt. Thanks.

Jacob

Are you sure you're pushing all the way forward on the shift lever? I know on my 86 GL wagon the light for "LO" range will come on before the shifter actually goes far enough forward for it to engage. You'll be able to feel/hear the same sort of click that you feel/hear between FWD and 4-HI when it actually engages into 4-LO

ignore ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ he has the OTHER shifter system

LOW is engaged by the FRONT shifter, you will see the rod going forward to it by the bellhousing opposite starter, move it FORWARD for LOW

it is possible to have FWD LOW :banana:

seems to be the classic "I'm in NEUTRAL :eek: "

LOW is engaged by the FRONT shifter, you will see the rod going forward to it by the bellhousing opposite starter, move it FORWARD for LOW

it is possible to have FWD LOW :banana:

seems to be the classic "I'm in NEUTRAL :eek: "

Ok, so I guess step one would be to make sure the linkage goes to the right thing near the bellhousing. Thanks.

Jacob

I have the same issue sometimes. Try putting it back into 4 high then pulling

with as much force as you deem necessary until you feel a "clunk."

If you feel nothing, then I would look at the linkage underneath the

center console.

It may also help if someone helped you by pulling the lever while you're

underneath the car.

You may be able to see the mechanism and if its working or not.

Hope it helps...

Twitch

The linkage is adjustable (at least on the EA82's, I assume it is on the EA81's as well). If it gets slightly misadjusted, then it might not go all the way to where it needs to be. I've had that happen before where it would not switch out of low range -- only halfway. Sounds like yours is the opposite issue -- check the adjustment first.

Z

The adjustment was fine. I took it out and tried it again. It turns out I just didn't know the rules of low gear. Just because the lever is pulled up enough to make the light turn on does not mean it's in low. Also, it seems you have to be stopped. I can get it going forward in 4-low now. Thanks for the help.

Jacob

you CAN shift from and to low while driving at "almost" any speed

think of it as a 8 spd or 10 spd and remember the shifting pattern when doing so

as long as you will not run out of REV you can shift into low

'tis especially useful with the full time 4wd and locking center dif.

1lo-2lo-2hi-3lo-3hi-4lo-4hi-5hi... Not worth splitting 1st or 5th... :grin::banana: Takes some creative shifting to get the 3hi-4lo shift right, but I've pretty much got it down.

Technically, you could do the same thing with the Brat, but with the hi/lo shifter placed significantly more awkwardly, I would think it would take more practicing...

Glad you figured out your linkage.

88RxTuner

The adjustment was fine. I took it out and tried it again. It turns out I just didn't know the rules of low gear. Just because the lever is pulled up enough to make the light turn on does not mean it's in low. Also, it seems you have to be stopped. I can get it going forward in 4-low now. Thanks for the help.

Jacob

it is possible to have FWD LOW

seems to be the classic "I'm in NEUTRAL "

HA! I knew it! I was so totally right! BWAHAHA. So much for telling him to ignore me eh?

HA! I knew it! I was so totally right! BWAHAHA. So much for telling him to ignore me eh?

Well, on a Brat, there's no "pushing forward" on the 4WD lever. It's done by pulling up. If I followed your advice, I would have sent my hand into my Eclipse deck at high speed:-)

I'm just happy it works. Now I need to experiment with its use in rallyx. If first is too short, and 2nd is too long, then maybe 2-low or 3-low is just right.

Jacob

P.S. The effed up thing is that when I pull the lever up to 4-low there's actually a "notch" where the 4-low light comes on, but I'm still in neutral. Why would Subaru put that there, or why did the P.O. wear that spot out instead of the spot where it does something?

I also have a problem with 4wd.When Im in 4lo and shift to reverse it bumps the 4wd selector into the "neutral" position.I can still get into reverse 4lo by making sure the 4wd lever goes into the 4lo spot.How can I adjust the linkage so that when shifting to reverse the 4wd will still be engaged?Car is an 84 gl wagon.

Well, on a Brat, there's no "pushing forward" on the 4WD lever. It's done by pulling up. If I followed your advice, I would have sent my hand into my Eclipse deck at high speed:-)

I'm just happy it works. Now I need to experiment with its use in rallyx. If first is too short, and 2nd is too long, then maybe 2-low or 3-low is just right.

Jacob

P.S. The effed up thing is that when I pull the lever up to 4-low there's actually a "notch" where the 4-low light comes on, but I'm still in neutral. Why would Subaru put that there, or why did the P.O. wear that spot out instead of the spot where it does something?

On that last bit, where the light comes on while the t-case is in neutral, does it turn off if you put slight downward pressure on it? Cuz that's waht mine does, except I'm pulling to the rear since my shifter is shaped differently lol.

My suspicion is that the LO lamp switch has either developed a particular liking for that spot on the shifter travel or the contact for it has worn it's own groove into the linkage. The switch is a simple push-contact, normally off, when you move the linkage to "LO" it presses on the switch and closes it, thus illuminating your lamp. The downside is that after some number of years, like almost 30, this rubbing on and off will eventually lead to some sort of wear.

I had an issue with my RX, when going into LO the lamp did not illuminate at all, and found that the contact for the switch had worn so far as to not push the switch all the way closed.. a used junkyard switch fixed this.

There may be an adjustment on the switch itself, Not real sure on this. Someone with more experience may be able to intervene on my behalf? :-\

88RxTuner

1lo-2lo-2hi-3lo-3hi-4lo-4hi-5hi... Not worth splitting 1st or 5th... :grin::banana: Takes some creative shifting to get the 3hi-4lo shift right, but I've pretty much got it down.

Is it really worth it to split the gears like that? I never had much luck with that on my Hatch, I'd just run it in low through 4th, then hit it into high range. I could actually get onto the highway like a modern car, and it was fun to pretend I had a 5speed.

Is it really worth it to split the gears like that? I never had much luck with that on my Hatch, I'd just run it in low through 4th, then hit it into high range. I could actually get onto the highway like a modern car, and it was fun to pretend I had a 5speed.

YES :D keeping the engine at peak performance while keeping up with traffic, even in DC "rush hour"

splitting is fun, something I miss on the BRAT and wagon I currently drive

oooooo look we are going 10 mph faster now, time to take it out of low..... goes the drive on a snowy road

HI, I'm new and have a similar but different issue...

My shifter is stuck in 1st,

I've check the linkage and it is all ok looking.

I tried to pull the linkage out of 1st at the transmission and bypassing the shifter altogether to no avil.

1982 brat 4x4 4speed

HELP!

Possibly a stuck shift fork or damaged synchro inside the trans... Have you tried shifting it while it's rolling? If not, try it... Does it move in first gear?

YES, it's worth splitting gears!! :grin: If not for the improvement in driveability (and there IS and improvement, once you get the shift pattern down...) , it's still worth it when camaro next to you hears you shift 4 times while he's still in first gear!! HAHAHAhaa :banana: ((The RX has both shifters right next to each other, so it's real easy to bump HI-LO with my elbow while shifting with my hand...I can split faster than I can shift normally.))