Ultimate Subaru Message Board

4EAT Trouble

88 GL-10 Turbo Sedan with 4EAT FT 4WD lost all foward momentum the other day on the highway, tach went up like crazy. Pulled over, no movement in any drive even reverse.

ATF fluid was fine, I had just replaced the fluid because of noise, had a loud whirring noise from the tranny a week earlier.

Towed home, after it cooled off it was drivable around the block but was sluggish at best, losing power as I went. Whirring noise still there.

I'm not very knowledgeable about auto tranny's in general as I've always had MT, I bought this car for my wife who has tendonitous in her right arm.

Any suggestions of what to look at in troubleshooting?

(Converting to MT is not an option right now)

Thanks.

Sounds just like the fried pump in the legacy trans I replaced recently.

A tranny shop could quickly test the line pressure, but my guess is that the pump cooked and failed. Now it cannot generate enough pressure to engage valves and lock clutches

Nope still the heart of an Auto, but you have a bad front pump. A bad TC has differnt symptons (the car will still move just not very fast).

Pumps are very noisey when the die, they whine, and the noise will match engine RPMs.

You need a tranny.

nipper

I would strongly suggest the ebay link for a new tranny. 100 bucks for a brand new tranny? Not used, not a junkyard. You aint gonna beat that ANYWHERE!

(althou the ebay link sounds fishey to me, looking at the pics, and reading the auction, it comes with a 90 day warenty)

The ebay ad is legit. I have been watching that tranny for literally 2 years. It was 300 at first, then 200, now 100. He is really ready to get rid of it, and I have spoke with him on the phone personally.

It is a brand new, 4wd, fulltime auto for an a 4 Cyl XT. An excact bolt in for your GL turbo.

• 1 month later...

Update.

I took Gloyale's advice and bought that tranny on ebay...it was a BRAND NEW 4EAT IN THE CRATE for $99.00!!

I had to drive to Pittsburgh (4 hrs) but it was worth it.

Thank you Gloyale!! I owe you one.

My biggest regret was replacing this tranny by myself in the driveway. I think I "earned" some subie stripes by doing this btw- ha. What a pain in the a@@...

But the wife is happy, her turbo sedan is back on the road.

BTW I have a used 4EAT with only 75K on it needs a new oil pump. Now a lawn ornament...Free!