Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Seafoam question

I have a 92 Loyale, manual tranny, 186K miles on it.

Somebody behind the counter at an auto parts store once told me that I shouldn't add Seafoam directly to the oil unless I'm going to drop the pan, because it will drop all of the gunk to the bottom and it won't drain on a regular oil change.

Did he know what he was talking about?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont think that is the case. I have yet to see an engine within the last 2 decades that was sludged up. This isnt the 60's and prior. Pretty good detergent oils these days. I surely would change the oil right away, while its hot and the crud is still suspended in the oil.

I dont do seafoam so I cant answer that. Should be on the bottle. The milky stuff is probably from it not running long/hot enough to evaporate all the condensation.

I tell you what; go to a local donut store, pick me up a dozen assorted donuts and bring them up in the morning. I will have some fresh roasted, ethiopian coffee on. 3 benefits to this; I get donuts and you get coffee like you have never had it, plus you get to take your car for a much needed drive.

How'd I do??

Nice!

I could do some elk scouting as well on the drive back!

Tell you what, opus, I'll have to do that another weekend because I've got a bathroom remodel to screw up tomorrow, but I'll take you up on that offer sometime!

• 1 month later...

seafoam don't work don't waste your money. ask for a deminstration to see it work, they won't because it don't! check out the conklin products they do work and they will show you they work. you'll have to find a dealer in your area.

Not to rain on a potential competitors product but the Seafoam works very well on VW 2.0's to make the top end queiter. Run it a short time and drain.

And it's a favorite of mine for Suby catalytic performance not up to par (or whatever the code is).

Never used it as an engine cleaner in a Suby - but it works well in the VW's.

Back in the day I used to use ATF, add a quart, short drive, immediate drain & new filter. Since ATF is basically very high detergent oil.

MMO works well in Suby's after installing a used engine or after a HG job. Few hundred miles and drain, fresh oil and filter. On both 2.2's and 2.5's.

seafoam don't work don't waste your money. ask for a deminstration to see it work, they won't because it don't! check out the conklin products they do work and they will show you they work. you'll have to find a dealer in your area.

Are you some sort of salesman for this stuff?

Because I've never heard of it.

I actually have used seafoam with great results.

It got rid of valve tap in my EA81 powered 1985 Subaru brat.

What all has this "Franklin conklin" stuff fixed or helped in your cars???

Twitch

My guess is that he's been drinking the coolaid but doesn't have whatever it takes to be a distributor.

Since he likes attacking products others have had success with I think IF he ever becomes a distributor free samples for USMB members should be part of his business plan.

If you believe in the product that much, and it's that good, should be an easy thing to do.

i'm not a dealer! i've used seafoam and no diffrence was noticed. how often do you change your fluids? 3000 miles because thats what you have been tought. thats crazy! do you have oil samples taken? how do you know whats going on in your fluids, whats wearing out? conklin HAS been proven to work! there are local trucking co. that have over 500,000 and 600,000 miles on the SAME OIL! yes they still change the filters. so don't knock something if you haven't tryed it. yes there are reg. vehicles that have over 250,000 miles on the oil also. the 4 power fuel cleaner starts working in 1 to 2 min. the dealer has a carbon strip in seafoam for about 7 months now and hasn't touched it. so tell me what works. OIL SAMPLES DON'T LIE. ask some one to do a deminstration for you. seeing is beliving! I ONLY USE THE BEST!!!! they have many products and have been in business for 40 years!!! how long has seafoam been in business 2 ??? conklin isn't going anywere! if you like spending money on stuff not proven to work thats fine. conklin will beat any think you buy at your chain stores. if you have been up set about products that don't work find a local shop that sells it and ASK for a demistration. what do you have to lose!

Edited by rtcaravan

i'm not a dealer! i've used seafoam and no diffrence was noticed. how often do you change your fluids? 3000 miles because thats what you have been tought. thats crazy! do you have oil samples taken? how do you know whats going on in your fluids, whats wearing out? conklin HAS been proven to work! there are local trucking co. that have over 500,000 and 600,000 miles on the SAME OIL! yes they still change the filters. so don't knock something if you haven't tryed it. yes there are reg. vehicles that have over 250,000 miles on the oil also. the 4 power fuel cleaner starts working in 1 to 2 min. the dealer has a carbon strip in seafoam for about 7 months now and hasn't touched it. so tell me what works. OIL SAMPLES DON'T LIE. ask some one to do a deminstration for you. seeing is beliving! I ONLY USE THE BEST!!!! they have many products and have been in business for 40 years!!! how long has seafoam been in business 2 ??? conklin isn't going anywere!

OK sir.

You apparently have no idea how oil degrades over time.

I have no doubts or qualms about the cleaning power of conklin.

I'm just wondering how conklin changes the oil so that it is impervious to the

wear and tear of going through the engine, and still is capable of lubricating

the engine properly.

Also, your claim about seafoam not working.

It does have cleaning capabilities.

It chemically reacts with carbon and other build-ups and then with the motion

of the fluids it washes away the buildup, at least that's my understanding of

seafoam.

Oh and your claim seafoam has been around for only 2 years, you're off by

about 65 years.

Seafoam has been around since 1942. :rolleyes:

And has guarantee that you will be satisfied with your purchase, or your

money back.

Twitch

Sorry to rain on your parade, but you're comparing apples and oranges. Your Conklin product is a fuel additive which purports to increase fuel mileage, seafoam is a detergent cleaner with a multitude of uses.

I also went to the website to see what they offer. http://www.conklin.com/pg.asp?p=6 The only thing they seem to offer for my Subaru is a fuel additive. Using their calculator, they allowed me to calculate my saving in fuel costs in a year. They neglected to subtract the cost of the fuel additive for the year, so that calcuation is bogus even if I believed my fuel consumption would be reduced by 10%.

Looking for a dealer to sell me the product, I entered my zipcode and wasn't able to find a dealer within 300 miles! No wonder I never heard of this miraculous stuff. I'll stick with my Seafoam which works for a number of things on my Subaru and which I can buy at most auto parts stores.

I found Seafoam for $6.95 here in The Dalles,Ore. I saw it the other day in Vancouver,Wash. for $10.99.:confused:

The Seafoam debate is a hot topic on every auto related forum I visit. Personally,I Seafom everything I own. I believe in it. For whatever reason,it always seems to smooth out the low idle.

Is it worth the money? If you use it the way I do it is. First you have to drive downtown and park as close to a busy intersecion as you can get.:lol:

Just to make sure your getting your moneys worth,invite your wife or girlfriend along for the ride. But chances are,they will only go along once.

I found Seafoam for $6.95 here in The Dalles,Ore. I saw it the other day in Vancouver,Wash. for $10.99.:confused:

The Seafoam debate is a hot topic on every auto related forum I visit. Personally,I Seafom everything I own. I believe in it. For whatever reason,it always seems to smooth out the low idle.

Is it worth the money? If you use it the way I do it is. First you have to drive downtown and park as close to a busy intersecion as you can get.:lol:

Just to make sure your getting your moneys worth,invite your wife or girlfriend along for the ride. But chances are,they will only go along once. This is just too funny.

Odd, it's $4.99 plus tax here in WA. I only shop at one or two places they all seem about the same.

Funny, I use it to bring back normal idle when the IAC valve runs my idle up to 1800 rpm.

Smoking up the intersection.....too funny.

thats fine if you like seafoam. i've seen the tests and oil samples of what works. conklin does have oils that are compatible to all subaru oil types! the conklin oil is a parasynthetic oil. like i said before oil samples don't lie. just like royal purple, now they advertise they have zink added into the oil. why would you add a metal to your oil, to make your motor wear out faster? royal purple test results come back as used oil! thats new out of the bottle! you have an oil sample done then you can tell me what works or not. like i said before have them do a test in front of you, THEY WON'T!!! CONKLIN WILL!!!

I have been using seafoam for a few years now on mulitple vehicles and I know as a fact it works... and it works on multiple levels...helped clean and quiet my noisy HLAs on my 200K mile EA82. It has stabilized old gas in my 83 coupe and helped it start better when cold and run smooth. I always have a can or 2 on hand cause it ALWAYS works when used the right way. I have put it in the gas tank..added it directly to my oil..and let it be sucked into the intake ( smoke cloud method). And I will say...with the exception of my 08 Impreza..all my vehicles were/are high mileage cars ( close to 200K and up) and I have been complimented many times on how well they run when people find out the mileage. I have NEVER has motor failure in any of my cars. ( my coupes original EA81 blew a head gasket but that was there when I bought it and it was MY fault the motor went bad after the reseal...something must have fallen into it and I didnt see it)

And you keep mentioning all these results of the conklin..well post them up!!! Lets see the proof.Where are the links? Lets see all these results you are talking about. I mean..ShamWow will give you demonstration too.

Edited by Bucky92

thats fine if you like seafoam. i've seen the tests and oil samples of what works. conklin does have oils that are compatible to all subaru oil types! the conklin oil is a parasynthetic oil. like i said before oil samples don't lie. just like royal purple, now they advertise they have zink added into the oil. why would you add a metal to your oil, to make your motor wear out faster? royal purple test results come back as used oil! thats new out of the bottle! you have an oil sample done then you can tell me what works or not. like i said before have them do a test in front of you, THEY WON'T!!! CONKLIN WILL!!!
I went back to the Conklin link and found their catalog. I see the product line they offer. The most comphrehensive line of oils and additives that I've never heard of. I see lots of testemonials but no actual data on wear or fuel savings. I also don't see a dealer list, prices, or a national presence. You're welcome to be happy with the product but I'm not willing to be a test subject for a product/brand I've never heard of.

our local rep has the test resalts. you don't need to be a test subject the testing has been done. why would you dump liquid down your intake? you trying to hydrolock you motor? thats not smart. if you want the smoke effect put trans fluid in your gas it will give you the same effect. 200,000 miles on a subaru is nothing they have one of the best engins out there. they don't have the results on there because you wuold have thousands of pages of info. they do way more than auto only.

you seem to be missing the point...you are calling people fools etc yet you have nothing backing up your claims..yet many of us have used the seafoam with results... no one has heard this product you are pushing. You my friend are coming off as a jerk about this whole thing...All we want is for you to post up the proof. No one has heard of this and it doesnt appear to be easy to get. No dealers for it around here...so put your money where your mouth is and give us REAL proof.

And you would be really suprised what I know about cars...I am sure I have been working on them alot longer then you. I have also had a 465K mile Ford van and a 550K mile honda.... both original never rebuilt motors. I have owned over 45 cars of all makes and models and like stated..I have NEVER had motor failure

Edited by Bucky92

our local rep has the test resalts. you don't need to be a test subject the testing has been done. why would you dump liquid down your intake? you trying to hydrolock you motor? thats not smart. if you want the smoke effect put trans fluid in your gas it will give you the same effect. 200,000 miles on a subaru is nothing they have one of the best engins out there. they don't have the results on there because you wuold have thousands of pages of info. they do way more than auto only.

Wow.

You apparently have very little knowledge on how cars work.

Dumping a hydrocarbon based liquid into the air intake or fuel intake, will

not hydrolock an engine.

The liquid will burn just like gasoline or diesel.

And we don't do it for the "smoke effect."

We do it because it cleans the system out.

I'm not disagreeing with you on the fact subaru has good engine.

But your claim that there are no facts and figures on your site about the

results on subaru's because there is too much to list, is complete BS.

They would at least list some of them on their site.

Twitch

PS: And the adding of zinc to oil, won't wear out the engine noticeably

faster.

Zinc is often used as a galvanizing agent, to prevent oxidization.

i have a ford van thats comes into the shop has over 400.000 on it. i never said you can't get high milage out of other vehicles. they advertise word of morth. they don't spend millions on ads trying to say they're the best like everyone else, they put it into product research. i'm only trying to help save you money! if you change your oil 6 times a year with reg. oil how much would you spend? like i said before local trucking co. over 600,000 miles with NO oil change. how much money are they saving and they have no problems. they even had the the motors taken apart and ckecked with no problems found. i can't help that there are no dealers close that you can't check it out. if you have resolts with seafoam thats great i didn't and neither did any one else i know. if i had the test resolts i would post them and they would blow you away. not trying to sound like a jerk but again like i said before you can't knock something you have never used. if you have been working on cars longer than me its not been to much longer i've ben doing it professionaly for 15 years. owned over 45 cars thats alot! i never had to own that many myself.