Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Starting Problem

Very good suggestions from TomRhere. The only thing I can add to that is to see if the battery voltage is falling below 9 volts when trying to start the car. A weak battery or bad starter drawing too much current could cause that problem.

You installed new rings without honing the cylinders? (you couldn't have left the distributor in place unless you didn't split the block - thus it sounds like you installed rings without honing). Did you gap the rings or even pay attention to where the gaps were in relation to each other??

If that's the case it's probably hard to start because the rings will never seat and you have poor compression.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

i guess the only funny thing is i never pull the distributor and the battery has good voltage as it is brand new so i guess ill still check the timming

Have you verified the voltage is ok? New batteries can still need a charge to get them to full capacity.

Since the cylinder pressure is up now because of the re-ring you may have to retard the timing slightly. If you are still using the SPFI you have to connect the green check connectors under the dash when you set the timing I think. Otherwise just try backing it off a little.

GD i did hone the cylinders without splitting the block i know it is redneck and i also payed attention to ring spacing and allignment but i had to get the engine running again in 1 day.... it took 15 hours to remove re-ring put headgaskets in and put it back in.. i didnt think anything of the other engine i bought untill i found it didnt have the power steering pump bolt holes which forced me to rering and put head gaskets in this one

Why didn't you drill/tap the holes for the power steering pump?

Anyway - without splitting the block some of your metal from honing is now inside the engine. That isn't real good for it. What type of hone did you use? What grit? And what angles?

Have you done a compression check? New rings often are hard to start till they seat in. If you did the hone properly they should seat within a few thousand miles - unless you used chrome faced rings, in which case you may have to wait a lot longer.

GD

i used standard napa rings i donno what they were.. no meat on the case to drill and tap from what i could tell the block i have actually has the casting for it i made sure to use wd40 while honing and then brake clean to rise as much as possible away.... then ran it 10 miles and changed the oil again now im running it 500 more miles then ill change the oil again