Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Bad car battery? Or maybe not?

Ok here is the issue.. I went out to my car on Sunday and the car would not crank at all.. nothing but just a relay sound...

the funny part is the battery voltage was reading 12.3V and when under load it went down to 3.6V and when the load was taken off it would take about 6-7 seconds to come back up to 12.3V and the dash lights in the car would reflect that (they get brighter if left in the on position without trying to crank)

Ok So I just jummped the car and it started up but being curious I turned on my hi-beams and that's when the car's idle dipped down to the 500 mark and since I had my door open at the time the light for the door also reflected the load being used...

after that I shut the lights off and let the car idle for about 5-7 min and then drove around the block since the car had been sitting..

I check the voltage output from the alternator and at 2000 rpms the voltage was reading 14.80V

The battery is a walmart everstart MAXX

I'm thinking the battery has little to no cranking amps but can supply a 12V output but can't take any high amp load at all?

The bad thing is the battery is hardly 2 months old...

I think I will be replacing it with a interstate megaton plus

The battery is a walmart everstart MAXX

Well there's the problem.

My gf had the same battery and the thing would barely turn the car over.

And the car is a a mazda 626 :-\

The bad thing is the battery is hardly 2 months old...

I think I will be replacing it with a interstate megaton plus

Yup, good idea.

I will never buy anything of any major consequence from walmart and will

never recommend anyone buy anything from there.

Batteries especially.

Twitch

I think I would start by looking at the connection points, both at the battery terminals and the grounds. Look for loose or dirty. I have the same issue but it only started after I repaced a worn out battery clamp (wouldn't hold tight anymore) and I couldn't get the crimp tight enough on the new one. It wiggles just a little and would separate if I yanked on it so I just dont do that.

BUt, like yours, first thing in the morning if you try to crank it doesn't do much. I put my hi beams,seat heater, rear defroster and blower fan on for about a minute or two then try. It might chug a little but always starts.

I have bought Walmart batteries, and continue to do so. However, for some strange reason all batteries that I have bought from Walmart have been low on water upon purchase. The first battery that I bought there burned up because of low water within four months of ownership, and left me stranded. Such a shame too, because their batteries are highly rated in Consumer's Report and else where. Once past the low water issue, their batteries perform well.

Check to see if your battery is low on water, if so return to Walmart for a free replacement. Just make sure that the replacement has sufficient water.

Just a comment on Consumer Reports and their ratings. Low price trumps all other criteria. They are biased toward value for the buck, not quality. That said, they are still a good comparison source.

Considering your battery is only 2 months old, I'd go back to Walmart and have it replaced. Assuming you don't have a bad connection, ground, .....this battery is not taking a charge.

I'm partial to Interstate batteries. I'm fortunate to have an Interstate distributor within 10 miles of my home. When I purchase a battery from them I always ask for a "blem". I've never found a reason for why the battery is considered a "blem" but it carries the same warranty of a "non-blem" and is just about half price. I've also never had an Interstate battery give me anything less than reliable service for 5 or more years.

Just a word about "Diehard" batteries. I used to buy them until I found they never lasted the full lifetime claimed in their ads. I usually had to turn them in after 2 to 3 years and paid the "pro-rated" price for the new one....which failed 2 to 3 years later. After adding up the costs of new plus pro-rated amounts I felt the Diehard wasn't such a great value after all.

the funny part is the battery voltage was reading 12.3V and when under load it went down to 3.6V and when the load was taken off it would take about 6-7 seconds to come back up to 12.3V and the dash lights in the car would reflect that (they get brighter if left in the on position without trying to crank)

Just a comment on measuring battery voltage (any kind of battery, not just a car battery). No load voltage readings mean nothing. Even a dead battery will read close to its nominal output without a load on it. So for a true indication of battery condition measure it with a load on it.

Judging from your results, your battery is not fully charged; since the alternator is putting out good voltage this is likely a bad battery. However, check your wiring and connections first to see if they are contributing to the lack of charge.

word has it that it could be a cell low or out of water.. however if I refill it the damage has already been done right?

I don't know if I will keep it or not.. I saved my old intersate battery I took out of the legacy before I replace it with this walmart one.. the intersate is still in my closet with a 9.6V charge it got drained when my ABS relay stuck on.. I might try to charge it to use it for my ham radio gear for field day.

When I had my impreza I brought the car I think it was 2003 it had a diehard that looked pretty rough when I first got it.. but it lasted until I junked the car back in 2006... started every winter with no issues.

Don't know why Interstate is head and shoulders above the crowd - but they are in my experience.

This winter I needed a battery for my "new" 97 Astro van which no-one local had so I had to settle for Advance's best. I would have gladly paid even more for the Interstate.

Last van 90 Astro had an Interstate in it when I bought it. I had the van over 8 years. Twice in the winter the ex-wife left an interior light on for weeks in the middle of the winter. I still don't use my newer van much. Anyways it came back from stone cold dead twice. Was still performing well when I sold the van last fall.

With the cars I buy and sell I see similar stellar performance.

They didn't offer one for my VW diesel at the time I needed one. I debated about an Ultima red top but went with Advance's best.

I have red top Altima's(perhaps it's Ultima's) in several antiques and haven't been inpressed with their performance - but they never leak!

I have no clue myself my interstate I have sitting in the closet is the megatron 550CCA version I'm going to get the plus version which is the highest rating one since I have a few extra lights going and I will be using a someone mild sound system in the car.. nothing over the top.

only thing sucks is they don't sell retail so I have to find one of these places that sell them I don't want them installing the battery for me.

word has it that it could be a cell low or out of water.. however if I refill it the damage has already been done right?

If you are not aware, the two plastic covers pry off the caps on the top of the battery. Looking into the cell "holes," the battery water level should be near the top of the battery. If not, the battery is low on water. Distilled water is the best to refill the battery.

Yes, I agree the battery could be damaged running low water level. I thought the same thing when it happened to me. If you find the battery low on water, return it to Wal-Mart for a new battery. I have found it best to return the battery when the auto service shop is closed. That way, the auto shop manager is not there to give you a hard time about replacing the battery. The manager added water, then run a voltage check on the battery, said the battery was good, and told me to keep the original battery. That has been my experience. I went back to Wal-Mart after 6 PM the same day, when the auto service area was closed. Picked up a new battery, and swapped it out at customer service with no questions asked.

I'm sure this has nothing to do with your situation, but.....

We recently swapped a dash in a '95 LS and the charge system stopped working. I also noticed that the gas gauge wasn't working, but wasn't sure it had been working before the swap. Anyhow, long->short of it is that there was a loose connection to that side (left) of the dash, which includes the charge system idiot light. When that idiot light is disconnected the alternator cannot put the charge to the battery.

Of course, I'd already swapped in an another alternator :rolleyes: ( we had one in inventory) before it occurred to me to check the dash connection.

While singing the praises of Interstate, I was asked by my older son to look for batteries for his 850i BMW (it uses two!!). Batteries are a european type unique to BMW and the dealer wanted $400 each for the replacements.

I went to Interstate and they had them (in stock!) for $150 each plus tax! I asked them if they had any "blems" and the couter-guy smiled and said he'd check but didn't think so. He came back shortly and said they were out of "blems" on that battery, "the dealers snap these up as fast as we get them!" he added.:eek::lol:

a "blem" is a misprinted label?

I am not sure exactly what a "blem" is either, however, by definition, the company perceives some visual defect with the battery. It could be graphics, or a scrape/mar cosmetic defect on the battery itself, but it is not something that detracts from the performance of the battery. In the past, I have not hesitated to buy a 'blem' battery, figuring it is just a good discount on a good battery. Who cares about any cosmetic defect. The battery performed fine, but had no warranty.

Ahh I see... well going to grab the battery tomorrow I have a few places within 10 miles that sells them so I think I should be ok.

One last thought on a "blem" battery. I just remembered that any battery returned to a retailer, and then resold by them is considered a "blem" battery. Guess that can be good or bad, but I have never had a blem battery turn out to be a lemmon.

Never bought a "blem" battery. Interstate does sell the cheap powervolt's that are pretty much junk. I used to buy a decent amount of the Powervolt universal batteries(top and side posts on the same battery).

IIR "Blem" tires don't carry any warranty so I'd expect the batteries to be the same.

IIR "Blem" tires don't carry any warranty so I'd expect the batteries to be the same.

I specifically asked the Interstate guy about the warranty on their "blems." His comment was they guarantee them the same as their "non-blems." Moot point since I've never had to return one anyway.

So home now and I put in the new interstate battery it's 550 CCA just like the old one, which by the way the owner brought it in july of 2006. Anyways the car started up faster then the walmart one so I'm a happy camper right now..

Sucks the DMV was closed today or otherwise I would be driving around.

Img_0103.jpg

Edited by 1-3-2-4

Dont mean to hijack this thread but I thought since this is on the subject of car batteries I'd like to make a product recommendation for a battery charger. Just purchased one of these in an attempt to bring back to life a Interstate SRM 29 deep cycle battery that is used in an RV trailer (I carelessly forgot to pull it out for storage for the winter and it discharged and semi-froze:eek:) Another brand charger that shall remain nameless could not do the job.

I've only used it for this one battery so far. Thought I'd have to replace the battery, but this charger's rejuvination and equalization features brought it back to life.:banana:

Highly recommended based on the above:

http://www.pacificbattery.com/schauer_cm16a_charger.html

Most Subaru dealers are running a car care clinic this month and may have a free battery test promotion going on. It only takes about 5 minutes and it load and system tests the battery. Piece of mind is nice to have.

I have seen a lot of brand new batteries under the hoods of Subarus that needed a Starter solenoid rebuild or the starter replaced. That click is usually the starter contacts failing or being dirty, corroded, etc. Its a cheap fix to do yourself too.

While its nice to have a new battery you can be masking the problem by throwing more amps at it and getting by for a while.

Well there's the problem.

Yup, good idea.

I will never buy anything of any major consequence from walmart and will

never recommend anyone buy anything from there.

Batteries especially.

Twitch

Althou I agree with you about buying from wal-mart. However, the battery might have a wal-mart tag on it, its also the same battery found at Autozone, Advanced Auto, and many other parts distributors. Theres only 3 manufactures for car batteries in the entire country, and they make the batteries for every reseller out there. All they do is put a diferent tag on, or use a diferent colored plastic. Johnson Controls makes the majority of the batteries, Delphi, and I cant remember the name of the third maker..

Althou I agree with you about buying from wal-mart. However, the battery might have a wal-mart tag on it, its also the same battery found at Autozone, Advanced Auto, and many other parts distributors. Theres only 3 manufactures for car batteries in the entire country, and they make the batteries for every reseller out there. All they do is put a diferent tag on, or use a diferent colored plastic. Johnson Controls makes the majority of the batteries, Delphi, and I cant remember the name of the third maker..

I have heard the same thing about only three domestic battery manufacturers in the USA, and yes they do all the private labeling for all that is seen in the retail market. Several years back, I saw a chart of which manufacturer made what for whom, but I can't remember the contents of the chart. However, it is impossible to tell if one manufacturer makes the same quality for whoever they private label for.

Agree that Wal-Mart can be a pia, and I would not want them to work on my car. However, their prices are hard to beat, and they are good on their guarantees. They don't hire the brightest people to work there, just mostly simpletons who don't, or can't think, and are good at following orders from bosses. Once you realize that, get a simpleton on your side, and they will move mountains to help you through their system, if you are nice to them.