Ultimate Subaru Message Board

No, not inner diameter. jk

Seriously, I have a trans on my bench I got with a big batch of junk. It is an EJ AWD 5spd. I was told it was from an early outback, and I need a replacement trans for one of those. I assumed it was what I was told, and installed all new bearings and seals in it and bolted it all back toghether.

THEN...it occured to me to double check the application, so I look up the trans #, problem is, I don't find that excact # on the charts.

Can anyone tell me the original applicaation for this trans? And Gear ratio? I really don't want to split her open again and count ring and pinion teeth.

# is 3V-TY752VA2AA

thanks

can you see the ring gear through the drain plug on these?

Well, I ended up cracking it back open. It is indeed a 4.11. Although the ratios of 2nd-5th gear are not the ratios that are speced for all the legacy trans. This one has the taller gearing of the early impreza (same gears as a GL 5spd.)

So, next thread will be about our attempt at creating a hybrid 4.11, AWD D/R. There are a few snags already, but I believe we will make it work.

I have found that trans chart that is floating around to be missing numbers. My trans number is not on the chart and the one listed for a '96 outback is supposed to be .780 for fifth with a 4.11 final drive. I plugged my rpm at 70 mph into one of those ratio calculators to determine that i have the .871 fifth instead of the .780 that is supposed to be there, but I do have the 4.11 final.

All TY752VA2AA units I have came from 90-94 Legacys, all 4.11.

93 Imp shows TY752VX3AA

96 Leg shows TY752VABCA... BOTH 4.11.

I would figure the earlier cars had the .780 5th g/r from what I have seen. The only records I have show .780 for brighton, L, GT; 871 for OB in 2000. Somebody may have the right manual for your application.

• 2 years later...
All TY752VA2AA units I have came from 90-94 Legacys, all 4.11.

93 Imp shows TY752VX3AA

96 Leg shows TY752VABCA... BOTH 4.11.

I would figure the earlier cars had the .780 5th g/r from what I have seen. The only records I have show .780 for brighton, L, GT; 871 for OB in 2000. Somebody may have the right manual for your application.

Any idea of the complete gear ratios for the TY752VA2AA transmission? Wikipedia lists the 90-94 Legacys as have 3.785, 1.945, 1.5, .994, .78, Final 4.11, but there's no source listed, and I can't find this information anyplace else on the web.

Thanks,

Any idea of the complete gear ratios for the TY752VA2AA transmission? Wikipedia lists the 90-94 Legacys as have 3.785, 1.945, 1.5, .994, .78, Final 4.11, but there's no source listed, and I can't find this information anyplace else on the web.

Thanks,

Hi,

Check the date...old Thread.

Check out THIS LINK...it's also in the Owner's Manual.

Td

Thanks,

That would be a 90 to 94 Legacy trans...... why do you want to know the gear ratio's anyway? It is what it is....

GD