Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Early 80s Highway Driving

Okay, here's the deal: I found an 82 GL for sale out here (pretty beater-ish shape but low miles) where I live in Kansas and drove it the other day. I used to have an 82 GL (the one lost in Vegas) so driving it was fun. Well, this one held straight at 45-ish but would wander some (but not pull) at highway speeds. It handled freeway speeds like my old VW. I'm not sure if my old Subaru did the same thing because I was young and it was way more modern than the previous car I owned. Do they do that, or is it that it needs better tires, or what?

80s Subarus aren't any different than any other 80's vehicle in the sense that, even if it doesn't have high miles, everything is 25+ years old. Tie rod ends could be worn out, the rack and pinion could be worn, ball joints, etc. I would take it to a mechanic and have them give the front end a looksie.

more than likely a very easy fix. i've got a good feeling this is the steering rack bushings. i believe whiteline is the company i used to buy after market EJ/WRX steering rack bushings from for the XT6. i've installed them in XT6's and XT's, so they work in EA82's. if EA81's are the same, then those same steering rack bushings would work for this as well.

very typically for it to feel loose, like it wanders a bit. then when turning, there could be a delay between turning the wheel and the wheels actually turning. it's very slight, but noticeable.

that's steering rack bushings. they are just rubber and like will said they're old. if any fluids got on them (easy to happen), the rubber degrades even quicker.

cheap and easy to replace.

I had terrible wander and the tires never felt quite right, they felt squishy is best term i can describe them. They were old and it seemed like the belts were seperating. Got a set of 4 tires and rims and it improved a ton. I do still have a bit of wander but im assumeing the front end needs work. Needs struts as well.

more than likely a very easy fix. i've got a good feeling this is the steering rack bushings. i believe whiteline is the company i used to buy after market EJ/WRX steering rack bushings from for the XT6. i've installed them in XT6's and XT's, so they work in EA82's. if EA81's are the same, then those same steering rack bushings would work for this as well.

Based on the pictures at rockauto.com, it looks to me like XT's and XT6's have steering racks that are like the EJ cars, but not like the other EA82's. The Imprezza and XT racks have one square bushing and one round bushing, where on the EA82's both bushings are square.