Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Did my Subaru dealer sell me a used O2 Sensor?

My daughter's Forester threw the P0130 code so thought I'd replace the front oxygen sensor.

The replacement sensor the dealer sold me looks like it has been used in that it is blue and it has anti seize on the thread. Is this how they come now?

DSC00528.jpg

^That looks used to me but it is said to be brand new..

?action=view&current=DSC00528.jpg

The antiseize comes on there just like that on the genuine sensors. The bluing looks a little more than usual maybe but how's the wiring and connector look? The dealer probably wouldn't knowingly sell a used sensor, but you know some people, they'll buy a new sensor, clean up their old one and put it in the box and try to return it.

The more I look at that picture, I'd say it was a new sensor. Doesn't look like a wrench has ever been on it, and it if had been installed and returned, it wasn't on the car very long 'cause that thing is spotless and while I've never tried to clean up a used O2 sensor, I seriously doubt you could get 100k O2 sensor to look that good.

Looks new to me, too. Every new O2 sensor I've purchased has had antisieze on it. That antisieze is in a glob, not smeared as if it had been screwed in. The tip is clean (would be black if used). Looks like the hex had never seen a wrench. And the gasket is not crushed.

Yeah, that's a new sensor, I've done enough of those + Toyota ones, that anti-seize stuff comes on them (There is usually a little plastic collar that goes over the threaded part to protect it in shipping).

Also, I'm not totally 100% sure since I can't look it up from home, but I think there is a ECU reflash that covers a P0130 code, don't know for sure though, esp. without knowing the year of the vehicle.