Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Oil leaks

If EA82s are good for one thing, it's incontinence. Just put on new timing belts and re-sealed the oil pump, fixing one oil leak. Get home, and the thing is still dumping oil on the exhaust smoking like crazy when I stop. Now the cam case seals are leaking. Great. Luckily the local dealer had the o-rings in stock, Schmucks had Fel-Pro valve cover gaskets in stock, so now I can take the timing belts back off and do it all again. Fun.

That was a huge pain in the rump roast to find it wasn't the problem. I went and changed the pan gasket, since the back of the block was really nice and clean with fresh oil, again not the problem. The oil is running down the right hand motor mount, onto the crossmember, and then on the exhaust. It's not just a little either, it's dumping oil at about a gallon in 100miles. It's a very fast drip off the crossmember, almost a stream.

Tomorrow the turbo comes off.

...Tomorrow the turbo comes off.

Ooh! ... it Explains it All! :)

I Had Similar Problems, but the Cause of Burnin` Oil was the 5/8" Hoses that Comes from each Valve Covers: They Blew Oil at Higher RPM`s ... I Just Changed their Config to Avoid them to Bring Oil to the PCV and no Problems So Far...

Good Luck!

It's not actually burning any oil, no smoke out of the tailpipe. It's running down one of the motor mounts, onto the crossmember, and being blown back onto the cat/downpipe when driving, making tons of smoke when I stop.

The PCV system looks decent, but the left side oil seperator in the valve cover was plugged up pretty good. I ran the covers through a hot water parts washer, and that took care of the buildup. The right side was nice and clean, as was the center hose. I do need to repair the tube that runs behind the intake plenum, it was damaged when I was changing the rear throttle body line.

Really big pic of a tiny little heat shield.

IMG_0127.jpg

Very easy to make, took about ten minutes, and a must have for those running an aftermarket up-pipe. Or those who had to remove heat shielding to weld the flange back on.

I can't get a good pic of the old hose, it's just kinda black with a black hole in it.

yea i have that same feeling when i pull up to a stoplight after just getting off of the freeway. The blank stare from the car next to you as they try and figure out why your not freaking out about all the smoke coming out from under your hood and car. O_o thats the look i usually get from them, maybe someday soon ill get around to resealing mine....