Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have changed the fuel filter and plugs hoping that the car would have a little more pep. It does have over 200k so I am not expecting race qualities, just to be able to keep up road speed on long hills. If I accelerate it will take off then as it is speeding up under pedal pressure it actually starts bogging down slower, pulsing it would seem. I have never seen a check engine light come on. What are some things I can focus on and check out, I do have access to a code checker if my buddy has the right adapter for Subaru, I would have to check. Thanks

Edited by trialsguy

they can perform great at 200,000 miles, so don't write it off just yet.

what is the general tune of the engine? wires, air filter, PCV valve? has the timing belt ever been changed?

on the passengers side of the engine bay you should see a vacuum line going from the passengers side strut tower (it's connected to a sensor there) to the engine bay. close to the engine, just underneath and in front of the large air intake tube), you will notice a roughly quarter sized (but slightly thicker) small filter in line with the vacuum hose. they are $7 from Subaru, replace it.

Edited by grossgary

I have changed the fuel filter and plugs hoping that the car would have a little more pep. It does have over 200k so I am not expecting race qualities, just to be able to keep up road speed on long hills.
As long as the engine is basically healthy (checked compression?), the mileage itself shouldn't be an issue.

If I accelerate it will take off then as it is speeding up under pedal pressure it actually starts bogging down slower, pulsing it would seem.
As Gary already mentioned, air filter and PCV valve (and tubing) are things to look at. In addition, what you've described could be due to either a fuel delivery problem (insufficient fuel pressure/volume?) or possibly some exhaust restriction.

I have never seen a check engine light come on. What are some things I can focus on and check out, I do have access to a code checker if my buddy has the right adapter for Subaru, I would have to check. Thanks

It's not likely that you'll find stored codes if you've never seen the CEL lit. The interface is standard OBD-II, so an adapter probably won't be needed for your buddy's reader.

what is the general tune of the engine? wires, air filter, PCV valve? has the timing belt ever been changed.

I have had the car a little over 2 years and have replaced the plugs,fuel pump, fuel filter and air cleaner. I have no idea about a timing belt. I haven't replaced the wires or the pcv and didn't know about the small filter, what do you call it?

This filter that you speak of, is there not a replacement through one of the parts stores, I haven't looked online yet but I don't think there is a local Subaru dealer around.

Thanks a bunch for your help!

Edited by trialsguy

they can perform great at 200,000 miles, so don't write it off just yet.

what is the general tune of the engine? wires, air filter, PCV valve? has the timing belt ever been changed?

on the passengers side of the engine bay you should see a vacuum line going from the passengers side strut tower (it's connected to a sensor there) to the engine bay. close to the engine, just underneath and in front of the large air intake tube), you will notice a roughly quarter sized (but slightly thicker) small filter in line with the vacuum hose. they are $7 from Subaru, replace it.

Are you talking about this?

04132009613-1.jpg

The one with the orange red connector on the top? I wonder how bad it was when I sprayed water directly over it and sprayed lots of silicone spray around that area? Never thought it was that important!

replace the wires with OE.

You can have either a lazy knock O2 sensor (your way due for the front one so its not wasteful money to just get one from subaru). AN over hyper knock sensor, or a clogged cat. Hit the cat with your hand when it is cold, if it rattles its dead.

And yes at 200,000 miles you should still run close to new.

your also coming up for a timing belt change (every 106,000 miles).

nipper

I think the filter they are referring to is a inline filter, that is attached to vacuum lines, or at least that's what I am guessing, Now I looked at it and pulled it loose to blow through it and it wouldn't allow air through either direction. Is this right? The thing I am referring to is attached to the valve or what ever that is you have indicated in your picture.

So if the cat rattles its clogged so do I do a cat delete type thing where I knock the guts out of it?

From what I heard, The little filter wicks moisure so the sensor on the strut tower doesn't get damaged from the condensation in the vacuume lines and freeze in cold climates. I had one go on me and it was pricey. $7.00 is a cheap inventment.