Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm looking around for a car and am currently looking at a 1991 Subaru Legacy Wagon with an automatic transmission. I'm not very familiar with Subarus and I thought this may be a good place to go to ask about this one. This car will serve as transportation to college, or military (soon to be decided). The car has around 190,000 miles on it but a new engine was put in about 3 years ago. It hasn't been driven much in the past year. It has a new battery and a new alternator. There are minor things that need attention, for example, the front turn signal is gone, the power steering pump leaks and possibly oil from the valve covers leaking as well. There was some minor valve noise when I started it but once the car had warmed up it went away. It also sounds as though there may be a small exhaust leak as well. The cable that works the automatic shoulder harness is hanging out of its track near the headliner. I don't know how hard this would be to fix. Can anyone share and insight on this? The heater, AC, lights, etc. all seem to work. The power window control on the driver door works, but needs to be pushed down HARD. The interior is in pretty good shape but shows 18 years of dirt and needs a good cleaning. There are a few paint blemishes as well. The tires are good for now but will need to replaced before the snow flies. There's also a silicon patch near the top of the A pillar on the driver side door. Is this fixing a common leak? The owner wants $1400-1500 although the car hasn't been smogged yet. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Personally I wouldnt pay $1400-1500 for that...Keep searching around...the old Legacy 2.2's are good engines and will last you a lifetime with proper maintaince...Ive seen some decent mileage (150k-160k) 95/96 Legacies going for about that price...If I were you I would keep searching around...

From what you have described, the car sounds more like a $500 "mechanic's special." Asking $1400 or $1500 sounds unreasonable. I owned a 91 Leggie wagon, so I know quite well what you are looking at. With that high millage, I wouldn't trust the automatic transmisson to go many more miles.

Suggest you pass on this car at that high price, and look else where for a nice Subie. As someone else posted here, there are nicer and newer used Subies available for under $2,000.

If you have never owned a Subie, you will read a lot of testimonials here about what great cars they are for reliable service, plus their motors are easy to work on, when they do need some attention. They are much easier to work on, when compared to a Honda or Toyota.

yes extremely high. I would pay $500 tops. You could however just go to a junk yard and grap all the parts you need. The valve cover seals are easy to do, but I doubt they need to be addressed, probably just needs a fresh oil change with 10w-30. My 93 legacy has 330,000km and the motor has never had any seals replaced. All that has been done on the motor ever since new was timing belts, and a water pump, and regular oil changes. Transmission was good up till 260,000km then it had torque bind(search it =) ), and the tranny was swapped, and they can be had for pretty cheap used. For the power steering the only leak really is from the o-ring between the resovoir and the pump and add a bit of lucas power steering stop leak, should be good.

IMO they are very reliable, although age does get to seals, creating issues (cv boots breaking, power steering). Another thing, I believe the 91 had a external transmission filter which can clog up, be sure to get a new filter.

As suggested though, keep walking unless you can get the car down price wise alot.

Another thing, I believe the 91 had a external transmission filter which can clog up, be sure to get a new filter.

I had a 91 Leggie wagon, with the automatic transmission, it does not have an external transmission filter, simply the screen just inside the pan. External AT spin on filters started on the 99 model for the U.S. model.

Where are you located? This one sounds a little beat up. Around here, there are usually about 5 or 6 gen one legacies for sale at any one time on Craigslist, so you can shop around a bit, and find a really good one for that price (or a beat up but still running one for $1000 or less). Auto's are usually a bit less because no one wants them here (though in the city, they're probably more).

Another thing, I believe the 91 had a external transmission filter which can clog up, be sure to get a new filter.

I had a 91 Leggie wagon, with the automatic transmission, it does not have an external transmission filter, simply the screen just inside the pan. External AT spin on filters started on the 99 model for the U.S. model.

Oh? I guess only the SVX had it around that time.