Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Heat shield removed but there is still rattling

Hi guys,

I'm hoping to get some information on a minor annoyance with my 99 Legacy GT.

About 2 months ago I had the heat shield removed due to a rattling/grinding sound that would occur at certain RPMs.

The car was silent for about a week or two afterwards, but now there is a similar rattling/grinding noise that is even louder and more apparent than before. It's sometimes audible at idle but mostly at about 2300-2500 RPM.

Can this be related to the heat shield removal?

I have an appointment tomorrow to get this checked out but in the meantime, any thoughts?

I appreciate your insight and expertise. :)

could be another heat shield...with age/mileage those things tend to loosen up...quick fix if you dont want to remove them is get some self tapping screws and screw them into the loose heat shield at random points just about 3 or 4 turnsafter the screw makes contact with the exhaust pipe=tension...should keep it from rattling...

If this noise sounds the same as the other heat shield did and it went away after removal of the heat shield than 9/10 its another heat shield...

Thanks EVOthis.

I'm guessing that when they removed the heat shield last time, another one might have loosened up in the process because the rattling occurs at different RPM than before.

Considering that apart from replacing fluids and bulbs I'm not mechanically inclined, I'll just have them remove the heat shield. I had suggested they clamp or screw it down but the advisor just told me they don't do that and they'd simply remove it.

Since their first fix never really eliminated the noise, I hope they don't charge me this time. Haha!

Anyone think I filling it with a bit of high temp silicone with a long extension? Wouldn't that stop the raddling?

Also another thing I was thinking about as big gap spray foam but I am not sure if it is high temp need to look it up.

You can remove most of the heat shields, but you should be careful, right under the power steering rack. That high heat will roast the p/s fluid and seals. I suggest you make sure that that section is still there, maybe a good worm drive hose clamp to hold it in place.