Ultimate Subaru Message Board

turbo upgrade to ea82t...

needing some experienced wisdom here...my 87 ea82t is running great, but does anyone know which turbo exactly can i upgrade to that will "bolt-in" and not cost me a fortune? I also do not want to blow my head gaskets with too much boost, so i am intercooled and have b.o.v. w/ manual dump...HELP!? thanks;-]

The short answer is there are no direct bolt-in applications. At the least you will have to change the turbine discharge flange completely and modify the turbine inlet flange. The compressor discharge will change from pointing at 12 o-clock to either 1:30 or 3:00 depending on which turbo you switch out to. The compressor inlet will change with the US market TD's or is similar if not identical with the VF-11 or the JDM TD05-16G.....

Modifying the EA82T's though is almost an excersise in futility. You won't get where you want to go without redesigned heads, o-ringing the block, and a custom head stud set. The cost of just those items far outweighs the cost of installing a newer, better performing engine.

GD

picture.php?albumid=124&pictureid=1103

picture.php?albumid=124&pictureid=1102

picture.php?albumid=124&pictureid=1101

Putting a TD04 on an ea82 isnt the end of the world I guess...

You can buy td04 flanges, and they are very similar to the ea82 uppipe flange. Some people like to "ovalize" the rear hole and make a smaller bolt work or something. You can also just buy plasma cut/water cut flanges that have the td04 pattern. What I did was just use longer exhaust studs for the two front holes that line up perfectly, and then for the rear hole I cut a lttle bit off the original uppipe, and when I welded the flange right over the original flange, I left room for a bolt to just come up thru the bottom.

Intake side can be interesting.. For what I was already working on with the front mount intercooler etc, leaving the original clocking for the TD04 worked fine, and all I had to do was raise the throttle cable mount.

With enough help from an exhaust shop and http://www.silicone intakes.com, you can squeeze something in there that will reach the turbo inlet

picture.php?albumid=124&pictureid=1004

KEEP IN MIND!!!, ANY LATE MODEL SUBARU TURBO UPGRADE, YOU MUST INSTALL SOMETHING TO CONTROL THE BOOST IF YOU WANT ANYTHING ABOVE 6 LBS!

(took us a long time to figure that one out, haha) EJ motors electronically control the boost with a pulse width modulated duty solenoid, and the wastegate by itself is set to only 6 psi. We just installed a manual boost controller (ebay cheapo) to bump up to around 11psi