Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Missing/ticking= seafoam?

I've read so much in so many places about the use of seafoam. My current problem is that first thing in the morning or after the car (89 dl sw ea82 dual range) has sat for a few hours is that there is a hesitation when I'm in neutral and just step on the gas really fast, in fact if i do it fast enough it would almost die, in this same situation when I take off down the road it will at first bog down, if I push the clutch in and pretty much dump the clutch, the tires spin and off it goes, but it will damn near stall before I do that. Once I'm going at reach lets say a steady 45 and i'm in third gear, you can feel it miss. Once this thing is warmed up, all of this goes away. I'm sorry for the length of this post, but I want to cover all the symptoms as well as anything i've done thus far. That being said, its never done this the last 2 winters, almost exclusively in the spring and very hot weather. Its also got the infamouse subaru tick of death. Its had this tick every since I swapped this engine in. I have replaced plugs, wires cap and rotor, fuel pump oil pump with new oil pump seal, fuel filter, timing belt, timing belt tensioners. This engine smoked a ton when I put the engine in, I suspect with it being from another wrecking yard it probably had cosmolene put in it for storage, and was burning this off. It does not currently have excessive smoke cold or hot. The tick is not constant, but is never far away and changes in intensity at random. So I'm contemplating seafoaming it for poops and giggle just to see what happens. I'm hoping someone else may have some input, cuz I fear this won't accomplish much. Again, my apologies for the length of the post, but I wanted to be thorough

nope no ses light, and sorry to sound ignorant, but can the codes be checked with out a scanner, according to the chiltons book i've got, it can't or at least i can't see where in the book it says how. I know i've done it on my 93 sidekick.

• 4 weeks later...

Okay I'm ready to undertake this testing now....I think. So I've read the section on testing for codes. However I'm a bit unclear on exactly how to get it to flash these codes. As I stated before, on my wifes suzuki, you take a jumper wire and jump between two plugins and it will flash the code through the CEL. If thats the case on my 89 dl. Which ones do I jumper between. I'm definately a more visual guy, so any pics would go miles in helping me not short something out. I have a new to me 89 gl with 130k on it, has a recently rebuilt engine, that now has a hole in the block. My plan is to figure out what my current problem is, before I just start buying new parts one at a time until i figure it out. So whatever I may need to replace, I have on hand now.

mine ticked really bad but replacing seals made it go away, the previous owner said he did the Marvel Mystery Oil and SeaFoam comstantly and it didnt help for obvious reasons. they arent fix alls but they can help.

it says you already replaced the seals on the oil pump but what ones?

there are 3....

i also, since i was in there, replaced the front crank seal and the seals that go on the end of the cam snouts, there are flat thick round seals like the crank seal and an o ring on each side and they were leaking on mine and i noticed the o rings were dried and comming apart.

it cost me $40 to replace all 3 oil pump seals, the cam cap seals and o rings and the front crank seal.

Ea82s need 10-30w for the lifters to work properly. Some folks will tell you to use whatever for the seasonal changes but the tolerances in the motor really just like that 10-30w oil. I might try an engine cleaning and a real short couple of oil changes first like every 1500miles. It might help clean up and free up those lifters.

I've heard you can use ATF for its detergents and run it for a short time, if its only run for like 50 miles or less and then changed, its "supposed" to be ok. I've never done it, I would be afraid to leave some in there, but, might be cheaper than than a foaming treatment.