Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1997 brighton brake backing plates

I need to replace the backing plates for L/R rear drums in my new/used 1997 legacy brighton last 8 vin V730 1933. The dealer said they cost $55 each. I'm wondering if the backing plates from another year/model can be substituted. Anybody have experience with this? Thanks

Edited by amartin

I need to replace the backing plates for L/R rear drums in my new/used 1997 legacy brighton last 8 vin V730 1933. The dealer said they cost $55 each. I'm wondering if the backing plates from another year/model can be substituted. Anybody have experience with this? Thanks

Maybe it's time to upgrade your brakes to all disc. But to answer your question, I think I would be safe in saying that any rear drum Legacy backing playe from 1995 to 1999 would work since that is the range of that body style. Other could work, but to be safe, I'd stay in the range.

You may get a better price from Lithta Subaru # 866-717-2512 or another place that people use is if 1st. Subaru parts.com

That may be a bigger job then you expect, on a 98 Legacy wagon I was going to change mine and if I remember correct you have to remove more then just the four bolts and other brake things that hold it on to get it off. I think is is in between the hub and knuckle. However mine is A.W.D. I dont know whether yours is or not. I just waited and changed mine later when the rear bearing went out.

Edited by tcspeer

Hi yes I have a '96 brighton, I looked into the backing plates but at least on the AWD models you have to extract the hub to do it, so I said fugehtabotit.

Here's your part #'s and year range; these are about $37 ea from dealers selling online: Looks to be same part as Impreza and Forester until about 2000.

26255AA021 BRAKE SHIELD RIGHT REAR passengers SIDE FOR 1995-1999 LEGACY and Impreza 1993-2001 NON-ABS MODELS FOR CARS WITH REAR BRAKE SHOES

26255AA031 BRAKE SHIELD LEFT REAR drivers SIDE FOR 1995-1999 LEGACY and Impreza 1993-2001 NON-ABS MODELS FOR CARS WITH REAR BRAKE SHOES

amartin,

Are you replacing the backing plates because the outer splash shield has rotten off? If so, just cut what ever is remaining and call it done. I had that issue on my '97 L and after much consternation and research, I found many posts where folks in that situation just removed what ever was remaining with no apparent ill effect. In some cases, the splash shield were removed to make way for bigger rotors and again, with no issues.

i have a set of 97 impreza rear drums i could possibly sell.

they are a complete rear drum/hub assembly with good low mileage bearings. you could swap in the entire hub and not have to worry about the hub/bearing issues. i can check condition and send pic's if you're interested.