Ultimate Subaru Message Board

front right hub.

how far onto the hub does the bearing need to be pressed.

when i took the old one off it was not against a ridge of any sort and i was wondering how far you press the brearing on or will it simply stop moving because of the fillet off of the shaft?

definate mark where the old one was so probly going to leave well enough alone and press it back to the same spot but would be nice to know if there is a spec on this.

thanx a bunch!

You should feel it bottom out once your in all the way...What year vehicle? Once you remove the hub from the car and press the old bearing out of the car you should be installing the new bearing in the car..not on the hub which was removed....

Edited by EVOthis

Be sure your terminology is accurate. Do you mean seating the bearing's outer race into the knuckle housing? You will feel it get hard/impossible to press further in when seated...and your circlip will now fit into its slot.

Or do you mean pressing the hub into the inner race of the bearing?

Looking at my 01-03 russian-download legacy manual, it doesn't specify a depth- the recommended subaru tools probably set the depth automatically.

From the pic it looks like the part of the hub that flares out should be just short of the seal, if you drive the flared part into the seal the seal probably won't work, and it would probably cause a bit of drag when turning the hub (as reported by tcspeer in another thread).

So using the polish line from the seal as the indicator is probably best if you're re-using the hub.

Dave